my wireless stopped working after update [solved]

dmzeplin

I have used MCC to get wireless worked by a choice of two; Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection or Use a windows driver (with ndiswrapper)... In 3.5.7, I choiced Intel Corp..... and it processed very well and easy...

When I happened to get all updated... it changed to KDE 3.5.9 and kernel 2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde. Only wired that is still running but not wireless... My laptop is stuck with wired to ethernet.... Neither PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection or Windows driver (with ndiswrapper) work in MCC...

I looked up wiki, or some places... but I seems can't find something help me.. Hopefully if you can help me to find the solution?? Here is the information that I am trying with ndiswrapper....

ndiswrapper -m

adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper ...

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
04:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
04:09.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
04:09.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)

modprobe ndiswrapper

Nothing happened

iwconfig

lo   no wireless extensions.

eth0	 no wireless extensions.

ndiswrapper -v

utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '1.9'
module details:
filename:	   /lib/modules/2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz
version:		1.52
vermagic:	   2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde SMP mod_unload 686

ndiswrapper -l

Unknown line at line 2389

That is all I tried to get better information and make it works!! Guess my mental is at maximum now... :wall:

Edited by dmzeplin

You appear to be comfortable using commandline. If the problem with using ndiswrapper via MCC is that ndiswrapper doesn't find your winblows driver, there's a fix that may work for you (it worked for me). As with making changes to any critical system files, make a backup of the original first.

The fix is to be found here: http://www.pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200712/page03.html.

** Once again this fix is only related to the use of ndiswrapper should it fail to locate your winblows driver. **

Good luck :)

Yeah this problem sucks. The Intel drivers were fantastic.

You should look at the iwl3945 project on sourceforge.

In Fedora, I replaced the network daemon with networkmanager and used the knetworkmanager and it works better than it did. However, my IPW3945 wireless light on my lappy doesn't show connectivity. which sucks.

Jon

I'm assuming that you've upgraded to Mandriva 2008.1. Then you should check this entry in the Errata: Problems with Intel 3945ABG

My apologized for being delaying... Now, I finally get my butt on this issues... Thanks for the link, but I need little bit helps... I tried severals, but still not working...

I decided to urpme ipw3945, it was in my system but removed which is good... Then I turned wifi off and on several times...

typed urpmi ipw3945 as results..

[root@localhost XXX]# urpmi dkms-ipw3945

ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2008.0/i586/media/contrib/release/dkms-ipw3945-1.2.1-2mdv2008.0.noarch.rpm
installing dkms-ipw3945-1.2.1-2mdv2008.0.noarch.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...					 #################################################################
  1/1: dkms-ipw3945		  #################################################################

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/ipw3945/1.2.1-2mdv2008.0/source ->
			 /usr/src/ipw3945-1.2.1-2mdv2008.0

DKMS: add Completed.

Preparing kernel 2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde for module build:
(This is not compiling a kernel, just preparing kernel symbols)
Storing current .config to be restored when complete
Running Generic preparation routine
make mrproper....
using /proc/config.gz
make oldconfig.....
make prepare.....

Building module:
cleaning build area....
cd /var/lib/dkms/ipw3945/1.2.1-2mdv2008.0/build; make KSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde/build IEEE80211_INC=/lib/modules/2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde/build/include CONFIG_IPW3945_MONITOR=y....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde (i586)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/ipw3945/1.2.1-2mdv2008.0/build/ for more information.

Error! Could not locate ipw3945.ko.gz for module ipw3945 in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde (i586) first.

I tried with urpmi --fuzzy kernel 2.6.24-3-laptop-3mde

I didn't copy and paste because they are tons of lists!!  I noticed there are several possibles??

Kernel-laptop-2.6.24.3-3mde
Kernel-laptop-devel-2.6.24.3-3mde
Kernel-2.6.24.3-3mde

Also, I saw about edit in /etc/modprobe.conf and I clicked for an instruction on how to edit... but it came out blank??

Yeah this problem sucks. The Intel drivers were fantastic.

You should look at the iwl3945 project on sourceforge.

In Fedora, I replaced the network daemon with networkmanager and used the knetworkmanager and it works better than it did. However, my IPW3945 wireless light on my lappy doesn't show connectivity. which sucks.

Jon

I am thinking of using knetworkmanager, but if ipw3945 is not working in driver?? Will knetworkmanager take care and fetch what is necessary driver ??

You appear to be comfortable using commandline. If the problem with using ndiswrapper via MCC is that ndiswrapper doesn't find your winblows driver, there's a fix that may work for you (it worked for me). As with making changes to any critical system files, make a backup of the original first.

The fix is to be found here: http://www.pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200712/page03.html.

** Once again this fix is only related to the use of ndiswrapper should it fail to locate your winblows driver. **

Good luck :)

I am not really that 100% comfortable using commandline yet... I have read from wiki and learn more... the more i use commandline, then better knowledge... (Hope so ;)) Since I was passive for few months... Now, I got myself a nice laptop, So I can focus on linux!!

I read from your link and I am praying that I am getting there either way! I saw one area about stable and unstable... When I removed ipw3945 and it was 1.2.2 and The article statement that at end of 0 means stable... I downloaded ipw3945 1.2.0, and it is now on my desktop... I am not sure how to install it?? Hope I can get some help on how to install from folder of ipw3945-1.2.0 in Desktop area... Also, I download from ipw3945...

I wish I could have seen what version I had in 3.5.7 before...

I'm assuming that you've upgraded to Mandriva 2008.1. Then you should check this entry in the Errata: Problems with Intel 3945ABG

When I changed from Mandriva 2007.1 to 2008.0 - fresh installation -, I also ran into the problem that my wireless suddenly stopped working although it worked before without problems... If I remember right, the Mandriva 2008 edition was the first one using the linux kernel with the new wireless stack ( http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8173766270.html ). Users of all linux distributions suddenly had the same problem with certain Intel drivers. I first tried every tip on the Mandriva errata page, but nothing worked. It took me several days to search for a solution of my problem then. I came across tips like: Do not hide the SSID, do not use DHCP. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. In the end, I had to change my old Netgear router. As soon as I got the new router, with which I could also use WPA, everything worked fine for me.

So, to sum this up, try the following:

1. If your router should hide the SSID, change the setting to "broadcasting".

2. If you should receive your IP, DNS etc. from the router by DHCP, change your configuration to a manual configuration.

3. If you should use WEP, try WPA/WPA-2.

4. If this should all fail, consider to change the router.

Btw, During my tests, I found out that you can browse the internet noticably faster, if you do not use DHCP. I was surprised, that this setting had such a noticable effect.

I only just noticed you switched to:

kernel 2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde

unless that's a typo, that's not an official Mandriva package. It's from the MDE repository, i.e., by Thac and Ze. This is likely part of the whole problem.

Frankly I'd recommend you go back to using the official Mandriva kernel and ditch all extra packages you installed. the iwl3945 driver is included in the Mandriva kernel, and from your post, it was working fine. Ditch any ipw3945 etc packages you installed. Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and remove any reference to ndiswrapper. Then re-run the network config tool and set up the interface using the native driver.

I only just noticed you switched to:

kernel 2.6.24.3-laptop-3mde

unless that's a typo, that's not an official Mandriva package. It's from the MDE repository, i.e., by Thac and Ze. This is likely part of the whole problem.

I see your point... I removed MDE from my MCC --> Configure media sources for install and update... What is left:

2008.0_main.release

2008.0_contrib.release

2008.0_main.updates

2008.0_contrib.updates

plf-free

non-free

main

contrib

plf-nonfree

main_updates

contrib_updates

non-free_updates

non-free_updates

2008.0_main.backprts

2008.0_contrib.backports

Let me know if I missed or unnecessary??

Thanks again...

that sounds like solid advice to me.

the iwl3945 driver works very well for me....now.

Can you give me a link for iwl3945?? Cuz I was unable to find iwl3945 but ipw3945... I am going to removed kernel that are from MDE, and reinstall with Mandriva 2008.0... I will see what happen soon...

So, to sum this up, try the following:

1. If your router should hide the SSID, change the setting to "broadcasting".

2. If you should receive your IP, DNS etc. from the router by DHCP, change your configuration to a manual configuration.

3. If you should use WEP, try WPA/WPA-2.

4. If this should all fail, consider to change the router.

If I can see that my network is having hard time search for available wifi I woudl have do something with router... but my laptop can't configure with network card... Something need to get fix with communcztion between my laptop and driver??

Hey guys!

adamw, you were right... I decided to format and re-installed 2008.0 because I tried too many different software to make wireless work as well as I only installed 2 days before wireless problem...

Now, my laptop showed 2008.1 and wireless WORKS! :thumbs: What I did, formatted and erased all data... re-installed with 2008.0 then downloaded upgrade from Mandrivausers.de and urmpi easy (without MDE repository)... But I had to updates 3rd times, my wireless finally works.

JonEberger, my wireless is now solid and the lights showe up on signals... it works...

Guys, many thanks!!

Edited by dmzeplin