I have a old spare machine, what can I use it for.

Gowator

OK guys and a few girls....

Inventive uses for the following generic SPECS

Rules are spend little or no money, have fun the wackier the better!!!

OH and it must run a linux kernel :-) (I thought that was obvious) :D

P100 -64MB, 2GB disk, crappy graphics (1-2MB or less)

P500 - 256MB -10GB disk, reasonable graphics (16MB card)

Firewalls? routers? proxy servers? NFS /Samba/whatever....

:?:

Edits:

I thought this might spark some ideas for when people are 'stuck' with an old machine they can't bare to throw out :-)

The specs are just examples so feel free to change like the webserver, could add another 40Gb for <50$ for instance.

NIC's are ten a penny, my idea (and I actually have an old P90 that will overclock to 100) in my cupboard is to set it up as a router for DSL running NAT so I can use all my machines.

This is a use linux to breath the last breaths from your old hardware thing.... :D

for the second one I say do a freevo box. of course, you'd need a video capture/tv tuner card...

i'm going to build myself a freevo box soon here (hrm, i think), with my AMD T-Bird 750mhz mobo.

P100 -64MB, 2GB disk, crappy graphics (1-2MB or less)

For this one, I would suggest turning it into a firewall/router. Get yourself a couple of network cards and install something like Smoothwall GPL, or one of the other dedicated firewall/router programs.

P500 - 256MB -10GB disk, reasonable graphics (16MB card)

The freevo idea is good, but the specs on the machine are a little thin for that. 10GB is not a lot of space.

You could use it as a web server running apache/php/mysql. However, I think the best idea is to use it to run your coffee maker....

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Coffee.html

I have a P1 200MHz 120MB (yes 120, not 128) running as a headless file download and internet server.

The dma on the second channel switches off after half a day or so, and I reboot less than once a month (well, reboot, my girlfriend sometimes pulls the plug by accident or so)...

If not I would use it as a backup server as well, but with a sustained datarate of 1.8MB/s this is no fun...

I do stream my .avi's directly from it, it's fast enough for that.

You could also attach a webcam and use it as a security system.

I recently found out you can switch off the light on the webcam, sort of 'silent mode'. Of course then you really do need to upload each image to the net, because they might steal the machine and then what good would it be... ;)