Just Bought the Power Pack

supermario

Just today, I bought my first copy of Mandriva 2008.1 for 78 US Dollars. I'm a tad upset about having to spend so much on it, when I could get a copy of Vista Home Premium for $99 or cheaper if you know what I mean. I know im comparing Apples to Oranges but still, thats crazy, I should have gone with the Thumbdrive but nah, I feel safer having the DVDS. Thats It on the ran't....

As you say, you are comparing apples to oranges. You need to look at the value, you get for your money. For example, the Mandriva PowerPack included the licensed LinDVD software, which alone is about 40 EUR worth. And if you choose the PowerPack subscription, you even get two editions for 59 EUR! See the prices in the Mandriva store:

Powerpack Subscription (1 year) 59,00-EUR TTC.

Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2008 Spring Box version 69,00-EUR TTC.

Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2008 Spring Download version 49,00-EUR TTC.

Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2008 Spring Slim Pack 2 DVD version 59,00-EUR TTC.

-> http://store.mandriva.com/index.php?curren...ucts_sort_order

Btw, your comparison is also wrong, because Windows editions have a much longer product lifecycle. I buy every Mandriva edition since Mandriva 9.0. Windows XP was introduced in late 2001. Since then, I have bought 12 PowerPack editions if I have not counted wrong now. So I had much more to pay for Mandriva than for Windows XP which came pre-installed with my notebook, but Mandriva is much more than just an operating system.

If you don't want to pay, you can choose Mandriva 2008 Spring free or other distributions like OpenSUSE, Ubuntu or Feodora, although I personally think that Mandriva is superior to all these distributions. Nevertheless, nothing is for free, and someone has to pay for it so that you can have it for free. And if no-one would pay for it, you could not have it for free. Think about it! :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe my comparison is or was wrong in anyway. Just about anything I can do in Linux I can do on Windows with free alternatives and vice versa. i don't have a problem buying the Distro from Mandriva because like I said in an earlier post, I know its a Company, and a company is in business to make money. I realize that it comes with Codecs and Cedega and thats got to be paid for somehow. Yeah thats fine. Don't sit there and tell me to go with the free version or another distro if I don't want to pay. I'll admit that I am at fault for not reading the Product Listing carefully, but I do feel like I should be given access to the 2009 image when it comes out either by discount or a download.

Just about anything I can do in Linux I can do on Windows with free alternatives and vice versa.

In most cases, this is true for sure. :) There is only one difference: Mandriva already comes with a phantastic selection of third-party software for you. While I have always needed over 8 hours to set up a fresh Windows installation with all the additional software which I had to collect myself, I am operational with Mandriva within 45 minutes of installation. I find this extremely comfortable time and time again. Everything has its pros and cons, but so everyone can make his own decision. :)

I'll admit that I am at fault for not reading the Product Listing carefully, but I do feel like I should be given access to the 2009 image when it comes out either by discount or a download.

If I do not have missed something, you can achieve this by buying the PowerPack this time and upgrade it with the free version in six months, although I believe that this makes only sense with the .0 version and the following .1 version, i.e. 2008 -> 2008 Spring, 2009 -> 2009 Spring.

If I do not have missed something, you can achieve this by buying the PowerPack this time and upgrade it with the free version in six months, although I believe that this makes only sense with the .0 version and the following .1 version, i.e. 2008 -> 2008 Spring, 2009 -> 2009 Spring.

The point was made earlier in this thread, the O/P bought the slim box set, not the powerpack subscription. The later entitles you to the upgrade, the former does not.

Well, if you don't need all the "close-ware" (most of them "pay-ware"?) - you can go with the free version of Mandriva. Also if you lack of internet connection (ADSL or higher) it might be a good idea to invest so you get most apps/libs on CDs/DVDs.

I'm not into windows cost this and mandriva/X,Y,Z distro cost that, it all depends what you think it's worth it for you. Do you like the product? Is the prize fair for what you get? Do you want to support Mandriva company that make the distro you like? etc. That's the thing you should take into consideration.

As I see things a linux distro is more than just than a product, but that maybe just be me.

At Ubuntu we do it a little diffrent than Mandriva. We don't have things like powerpacks etc. but you can buy proffesional support/help (mostly aimed at companies/goverments/institutions) and donations (if you like the product you donate what you can afford or you think it's worth it for you).

But again, there's no right and wrongs in which model to choose from, it's individuel (sp?) and all depends from what I've descripted above.

Thanks for the heroic defence, guys, but it's fine. My take is that Reiver has basically decided that everything 'Mandriva management' (which I suspect, in his head, is a bunch of guys with monocles and finely manicured moustaches which they twirl regularly) is bad and evil, and therefore he will never mention or acknowledge anything which tends to indicate that this viewpoint may not be the whole, unvarnished truth. This makes him easy to poke fun at, which I enjoy doing. Ah, the joys of having a lightly supervised role in a casual community.

As far as the actual point of this thread goes, I'm in touch with supermario by PM, and he has a fairly unusual situation which does make it difficult for him to usefully use a Powerpack subscription, which is a shame. However, it's still not really workable for us to have what would in effect be a 'physical subscription' - we actually used to have just this offer (pay $XX and get boxed copies of the next two Powerpacks), and not many people bought into it, which is why we stopped doing it. We'll try and work out something that will be satisfactory for him.

it all depends what you think it's worth it for you. Do you like the product? Is the prize fair for what you get? Do you want to support Mandriva company that make the distro you like? etc. That's the thing you should take into consideration.

I am a PowerPack subscriber myself, however I don't install/use any of the stuff that differentiates the PowerPack version from the Free version, although I did take advantage of the nvidia driver for convenience this time :) I like Mandriva, out of the different Distribution's I have tried, it is by far my favorite, and I am quite happy to give them a little money for it.

As I see things a linux distro is more than just than a product, but that maybe just be me.

I see Microsoft as a product, and Linux as a state of mind. [hmmm, might have something to do with my psychosis :unsure: ]

a bunch of guys with monocles and finely manicured moustaches which they twirl regularly

So this is not true :cheeky: