Just Bought the Power Pack

supermario

Everyone,

Just today, I bought my first copy of Mandriva 2008.1 for 78 US Dollars. I'm a tad upset about having to spend so much on it, when I could get a copy of Vista Home Premium for $99 or cheaper if you know what I mean. I know im comparing Apples to Oranges but still, thats crazy, I should have gone with the Thumbdrive but nah, I feel safer having the DVDS. Thats It on the ran't....

Now to the questions.

Will I be able to get Mandriva 2009 for free, or am I just screwed when it comes to Upgrading?

Would that be the best choice?

I'm leaning towards installing the 32 bit version since I don't know how far 64 has come. Would that be the best choice? All I really plan on doing is using my system to convert dvds to smaller avi for back up purposes, surf the net, and office type stuff oh and printing of course with the ocassional game install on Cedega.

I'm also considering either buying a new HD for my laptop or just dual booting Vista and Mandy, do I still have to worry about the SPINDOWN problem that was plauging linux awhile back or has that issue been resolved. Referring to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5...hlight=spindown Currently have 2008 Free installed, I don't think I have that issue, but would like to be on the safe side.

I did try the 2008.1 Gnome One Cd, and its really awesome, which is why I decided to buy the PP, maybe my 70 bucks could make difference(or not). But I truly am impressed with Mandy, bluetooth was working Nvidia drivers were working, I just couldn't believe it, its pretty great, I could just imagine the PP will be all that and much much more.

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

P.S. To the Devels and the Community that made all this happen. THANK YOU!

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will I be able to get Mandriva 2009 for free, or am I just screwed when it comes to Upgrading?

In the absence of further explanation, I am assuming that you are asking if you are able to upgrade to the Mandriva 2009 PP for free?

Are you sitting comfortably?

The short answer:

no!

The long answer:

When 2009 is released, you will be able to install 2009 Free, for free. It won't be an upgrade to 2008 PP, you can't do that. Therefore in order to get 2009 you will either have to pay for 2009 PP to upgrade your 2008 PP installation, or for nothing you can wipe your 2008 PP install completely and install 2009 Free in its place.

So what you're telling me is to CANCEL MY ORDER right. Now that is rediculous. I mean cmon, How in the world is that fair? So just install my LIVE DISC or order FREE DVD from osdics.com right. That really bugs me.

Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring

List Price: $19.95

Our Price: $5.95 and eligible for FREE Worldwide Shipping on orders over $20.

You Save: $14.00 (70%)

Availability: Ships the next business day

So what you're telling me is to CANCEL MY ORDER right.

No, I am stating some of the facts of the sitution. Whether or not you decide to cancel your order is is a decision to be made by you, based on how they facts (not restricted to the statements made in my previous post) fare up against your beliefs!

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Well Reiver I appreciate you telling me this. I've asked Mandriva to cancel my order. If I had a dedicated internet connection I would have definately gone with the Power Pack subscription. As much as I would like to help out Mandriva I don't think its right that they do that. I also understand Mandriva is a Company, a Company that must pay bills and what not, and is also in business to make some profit, otherwise there is no point in being a company. If they were to offer a free Power Pack download in addition to the DISCS or a 2009 PP DVD at half the price then it wouldn't be a problem.

When you buy PP, you buy 2-3 month worth of support and Mandriva Club membership plus you pay some licensing fees for using nonfree drivers and the nonfree software. It's up to you whether you need that or not. I used to buy powerpacks in the past but then stopped byuing them because the support services did not deliver what was promised. On the other hand, the forums like the MUB and official Mandriva forum, have wealth of information and are just as helpful.

The price tag of $6 is likely for Mandriva Free, not a PP.

My laptop likely suffers from the spindown problem - it often pauses while I am typing something or am moving the mouse pointer.

Actually, if you upgrade a Mandriva 2006 PP to Mandriva 2007 using the repos, it's still badged as Mandriva 2007 PP within KDE, etc. That's what happened to me. Just don't expect any support from Mandriva, since support and the disks is what you pay for.

Mandriva Free and Mandriva Powerpack use the same repos.

So I would say yes, you can upgrade if you use the internet repos, but you would have to pay to get the Mandriva 2009 Powerpack CD/DVD set.

So I would say yes, you can upgrade if you use the internet repos, but you would have to pay to get the Mandriva 2009 Powerpack CD/DVD set.

Possible, might result in a borked system though.

However, if you tried to update some of the non free (i.e. paid for) proprietary stuff (possibly LinDVD or Cedega?) would you be voilating the licence as you bought the right to use them with a 2008.x base system, not 2009.x. :unsure:

If the licence was independent of the base system, generally you would still only be legally entitled to security updates and bug fixes, not new releases of that software. If the new PP features new releases of said software, then you still wouldn't be entitled to update it. :unsure:

In the event that you would not be able to update proprietary software because of licence resrtictions, surely there's a possibility that you would break dependencies and make that software unusable? :unsure:

If there is no need for the proprietary software, why bother with PP at all?

I hope this makes sense.

If there is no need for the proprietary software, why bother with PP at all?

In my case, it was more of a "Helping out Linux/Mandriva" thing, and the "assumption" that I would be able to upgrade to 2009 either by installing a brandnew 2009 or through urpmi. Having Cedega is just a plus since I really don't play games anymore. Also some of the non-free stuff like CODECS and NVIDIA drivers that are included, which could be downloaded anyways.

BTW, does anybody have an 800 number for the mandriva store, I've sent them a message but no ones replied yet. Is there maybe a French holiday or something, or a no work on Friday policy.

In my case, it was more of a "Helping out Linux/Mandriva" thing

:lol2:

Mandriva is a company, not a charity. All you are doing is throwing money into a loss making pit. If anyone is responsible for helping the company it is the management, who still receive their salaries despite the lack of performance (although no longer a phenomenon unique to this little French company). If you feel like a little philanthropy, try donating to one of the real community (and not for profit) projects, these guys really need the money.

BTW, does anybody have an 800 number for the mandriva store, I've sent them a message but no ones replied yet. Is there maybe a French holiday or something, or a no work on Friday policy.

Good luck with that one, my remarks about ineptitude above cover customer service and due dilligence.

A bit less sarcasm and a bit more information.

Everyone,

Just today, I bought my first copy of Mandriva 2008.1 for 78 US Dollars. I'm a tad upset about having to spend so much on it, when I could get a copy of Vista Home Premium for $99 or cheaper if you know what I mean. I know im comparing Apples to Oranges but still, thats crazy, I should have gone with the Thumbdrive but nah, I feel safer having the DVDS. Thats It on the ran't....

You do get TWO Powerpack copys of Mandriva for your 78 Dollars. You pay for non-free software and non-free codecs. In some countries it is illegal to use some codecs without paying for them. Furthermore, some people are not willing or unable to install multimedia-codecs or buy proprietary software individually. Thus Mandriva offers the Powerpack-edition. With Windows, you only get for the base-system. With Mandriva, you get a fully fledged operating system plus thousands of software packages, too. Thus you cannot compare the price-tag of Mandriva with that of Windows.

Yes. As I said: You bought two copies of Mandriva.

PS: If you do pay for Mandriva, you do of course not only support a company, but also human beings that work there. If you want to pay the bucks or not is up to you.

You do get TWO Powerpack copys of Mandriva for your 78 Dollars.

Arctic, the O/P made no indication that he bought the powerpack subscription. I took it to be that he bought the boxed discs given his lack of a "dedicated internet connection" and the price he paid. While the powerpack subscription entitles you two 2 releases (the term of the subscription is 1 year) as far as I can see the box set does not!

(sorry Dark, I accidentally ignored your point earlier)

you do of course not only support a company, but also human beings that work there.

That's the company's problem, not the consumer.

(sorry Dark, I accidentally ignored your point earlier)

No bigge at all...

Though On second thought I did come to wonder if I was in the O/P's position and was to shell out the money for PWP I would go for the subscripion anyway, on grounds IIRC the subscription is only ten dollars more, and could most likely borrow a friends computer or connection to aquire 2008.1 and 2009.0 PWP And by pass the issue if possible.

Also IIRC when pricing PWP for purchase latter on in the year, I did notice that yea, there is the option to buy and covers pwp and a few months of updates, and then there is the subscription for a year including pwp releases.