Can't boot 2008.1 livecd - hangs at fuse init

wlake

Hello,

I cannot boot the referenced livecd. I checked the md5sum, and have used various cheatcodes. Booting from the livecd always hangs at the -- fuse init -- message. I am trying to boot the cd on an HP Pavilion dv6174cl. This is the first Linux distro I have tried that will not boot from the livecd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

wlake

Probably a kernel problem.

Mine does not hang (I've grabbed the minimal boot.iso netinstall image), but I'm unable to install it, either under VMWare, or VirtualBox- the guest OS simply dies while fetching from the net.

It's not the usual tickless timer issue: the host OS (ArchLinux) has it disabled (nohz=off), plus that installing Cooker used to be a piece of cake... (last time was some two months ago).

Well... if I were using ubuntu, I'd say that.. (normally a kernell problem) Id say that (not probabily)

I've been using 2008.1 since alpha2 and I'm so happy with it ... (I'm really).. BUT...............

I DLed all.. the 3 CDs (they are just fine =).. the DVD (its just nice :D).. and the 2 live CDs (GBOME and KDE) . I must say.. (excuse me mods) they were such a loss of time....... I'm really angry with them... for me.. I lost all my time DLing them.. (GNOME works some times..) KDE is just imposssible )

However.. I'll continue using mandriva cooker 2009 (I do love to).... my distro is not perfect but I can do almost everything I want to... that does not mean I'm not dissapointed ...

(to the original poster) try to burn your disk at the lowest speed 2x) IN MY CASE I could boot the GNOME live cd but I could never test firefox, mcc, openofficeorg calc or writer, evolution, etc.. . it just did not work :wall: and I could never make an installation.. ... BUTTTT .. come on.. download the DVD and everything will be just fine ;)

cheers

Luis.

Well, there's two possibilities here. Either it's a genuine bug - in which case, it seems from Luis' post that you would be fine using Free instead of One, so you can still try 2008 Spring - or it's a bad burn, in which case you should check the md5sum of the download and re-burn the disc at a slower speed.

PCLOS is still based off Mandriva Linux 2007, they haven't re-based yet, and in any case, at this level (basic kernel and init sequence stuff), PCLOS is substantially different from Mandriva.

Same problem here ... I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop. I wanted to try the ONE in live mode, becouse I may be a victim of the Intel HDA ICHx sound bug, but I can't. Booting from Mandriva ONE KDE 2008.1 dies with a very sophisticated kernel error (too long to rewrite it here), the error starts with UDEV problems on boot screen, and on log screen (ALT+F3) there are some "Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family)...." related errors...

So bad ... I'll try the pc now. I hope it will work, but I think it will not, same Intel chipset on PC too... :wall:

Later Edit:

1) ONE boots on the PC ... with same chipset, strange...

2) Sound bug is there, different from my friends, they had absolutly NO sound with this on-board Intel soundcard. I have sound, very low, everything at maximum barely makes a music enjoiable in headphones. With 2008.0 it was much much much louder, usualy a volume over 60%-70% was to loud. And the second BIG problem is that the pc speaker is always ON ... every sound is reproduced in pc speaker ... it's freeky :P

Edited by Patkos Csaba

I just fresh installed 2008.1 Spring ONE and so far it works for me better than 2008. I mean no hangs or crashes, all hard drives are mounted automatically and even in NTFS-3g mode so I am able to do everything with my ntfs drives. Only one trick I did from previous experience: botted from liveCD and installed to HD using pci=noacpi.

Keep the test and see what happens further.

@adamw: I tryed the following

1) rmmod pcspkr, when booted from in Live mode from Mandriva 2008.1 ONE Kde, speaker still sing withouth the module loaded...

2) alsamixer -c 0, i've set all sound parameters to maximum, no improvement. The sound level is about 60% compared with the currently installed Mandriva 2008.0, maybe less.

Well, there's two possibilities here. Either it's a genuine bug - in which case, it seems from Luis' post that you would be fine using Free instead of One, so you can still try 2008 Spring - or it's a bad burn, in which case you should check the md5sum of the download and re-burn the disc at a slower speed.

@Adam... Thanks for your comment...

Ironically, if you take a look to my first post in forum.mandriva, I had exactly the same problem and your suggestion was to use the DVD(Talking about 2009.0 ONE KDE) ... this time I follow someone's else advice and it booted the 4rth time I tried.. The DVD and the 3 CDs go just fine with no single issue...

The Spring ONE GNOME I had to burn it at the lowest speed and it worked but it does not let me use anything, so for me is useless, and md5sume and sha1sum are just correct... however I still give you the credit that it could be a bad burn (I have already burnt some like 10-12 CDs and all went to the garbage can :(

Going a little bit further I iuse the ONE KDE in my wife's PC and it worked like a charm, but when I installed it.... I could never boot... so I just inserted the FREE DVD and it fixed everything...

IMHO, there must be a bug in ONE KDE and GNOME... but I frankly don't think it is a kernel related bug,... as I said before.. the is the second time with ONE.. first with 2008.0 and now 2008.1.

And just to finish, I had never this problem with RC2.... strange, isnt it?

Kind Regards

Luis