Should I upgrade 9.0 --> 9.1 ?

VeeDubb

I love the look of 9.1 best, and for the first time everything (including my 3300C hp scanner) worked properly without extra tweaking from me!

No problems. Better look/feel. Glad you joined the 9.1 crew. But then again, resistence is futile. :twisted:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 9.0 was working fine, but I finally decided to upgrade to 9.1.

Big Fat Mistake.

Now I have two LILO linux choices: Linux and old_linux. The "Linux" choice can't even launch X because of some NVIDIA error. The "oldlinux" choice brings me to my desktop, but sound doesn't work anymore, and many links to apps don't work anymore.

What must one do to get the new Linux working? Do I have to reinstall NVIDIA drivers (meaning I have to remember how I did it last time)?

A little vent, because I'm steamed:

I'm not a programmer or engineer, but I'm a super-duper user, and if they can't get these effing SIMPLE UPGRADES to work for ME, then they're light years away from getting this stuff to work for the average Joe.

If you must be a computer genius to do simple Linux tasks (like upgrades), then Linux will have a lock on the computer genius market, but NOWHERE ELSE.

I hate to say it, but the thought of returning to Windoze--which I've been fully off of for over a year--has entered my mind. I'm damn sick and tired of having to recall complex command line procedures every time I want to do what should be a simple task. It was fun at first, but its getting tiring.

Please forgive the rant, and a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

the upgrade option is buggy, as has been covered.

we know, they shouldn't put the option there if it doesn't work. but until that point, all we here at the board can do is warn you against using it :)

as for the nvidia drivers, yes, you do have to reinstall them. there are various topics here and some tutorials on how to do it (check the FAQ forum and the tutorials link at the top for a link to DOlson's tutorials-the mandrake experience). this should get you through, hopefully...

Would it make more sense for me to do a complete reinstall? I shutter to think of it--I have crossover office and transgaming windows games and all that kind of stuff that (I presume) I'd have to start over from scratch reinstalling (I have separate /usr and /home partitions).

As for the NVIDIA, does it make sense that I can't even start X in VGA with my new Linux install? It references a 3DFX error (can't remember what right now), but shouldn't it start in VGA?

Until Mandrake fixes this upgrade stuff, I'm going to consider my linux a static system. I regret upgrading ("downgrading") it this time. I'm an idiot.

it's probably using the nv driver.

as for the games, if you have a /home dir the installs should stay in your /home (which is where they normally install to, if you do it as your regular user), you'll just have to reinstall winex. OOo you'll have to reinstall yourself. or look for an RPM (there is a post somewhere here referencing the newest OOo and now to install it from RPM, i forget where).

Always always always

1) Have a seperate /home partition

2) Save your back ups there

3) Do a full install without formatting /home

4) Turn off supergoof-I mean supermount

5) Save copies of /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf in your back up in your home directory

Sound and networking will always work with a fresh install. Upgrades are a way to keep you working on your computer until you lose your wife, your kids, your dog, and your car/truck, so don't do it! :lol:

The /usr is a slight problem because ther are other files installed in /bin and what not that are part of working programs. I actually keep rpm's of my special programs and reinstall. Games have saved files for my current saved games. So, I guess I do rebuild some stuff. I just never had an upgrade work! A major program in /usr could be backed up, but you will miss the executables.

In my opinion, supermount is the reason for many odd inexplicable problems that come and go unpredictably. I stopped using it 8.0 (?) and lost all the "cdrom won't eject on tuesdays" type of issues! :lol:

I also think that bad installs can be traced to supermount when strange problems come up from programs installed from cd's, the cd's are good, and the program has successfully installed in the past. Supermount is evil! :twisted:

Well, I couldn't wait. I've already reinstalled, fresh.

Pretty harmless. Yes, for the most part it works perfectly, and I have my home directory/settings intact. Even my MS Office and Adobe Photoshop came up perfectly after only re-installing crossover.

Winex/Counterstrike is another matter. I'll have to work that tomorrow.

I noticed Mozilla 1.31 on the Mandrake Update list. Is Mandrake Update (finally) including Mozilla in their bundle? If so, why didn't it get me to Mozilla 1.4?

Upgrades are a way to keep you working on your computer until you lose your wife, your kids, your dog, and your car/truck, so don't do it!

Hey Ixthusdan, you never said you wrote country music songs in your spare time ....

Seriously now:

I went back to my shuttle the night before last and decided to INSALL (not upgrade) from 9.0-9.1.

After a serious amount of backing up, I did a clean install. Now I'm willing to give this machine is a little strange... Its a Shuttle (model ??) anyway, the athalon version.

(For those interested by Duron 1300/256Mhz has been installed with sme-server. All my backups are on a SCSI disk, currently not connected to it ! )

Anyway, graphics is a linux friendly MGA400 and the internal SIS VGA is turned off. Can't completely turn off the power management since its a fanlass processor ... its got liquid cooling run from the PSU.

It was working great in 9.0, albeit without USB2 ...

So I chucked an extra half gig in to 1GB (forcing the enterprise kernel) and also a TV card, generic bt8?8 ... Also a creative infrared-serial

Ahhh, 1st install problem - couldn't load Mandrake_installer***.rpm.

OK tried again, cleaned the CD off and now the graphics just crashes when it tries the graphical installer.

So several attempts at text install, reformat partitions every time .

It hangs every time before the boot loader is installed but I wasn't to be detered. Boot up in rescue, write a lilo.conf by hand, run lilo. reboot ...

OK so now it boots ... runs X etc. so I decided to put in the proper kernel since Im only seing 848MB. Great ... it all works with kernel enterprise afted adding an entry in lilo.conf.

Only ... Network will start with a static IP, the lights are on ... but it can't see anything else on the local subnet.

For a short time it did, the first night but last night it just refused completely ... if I set it to DHCP it gets an IP address from outside my subnet, Ive no idea where from..... not only that it aliases it to eth0:9

I tried uninstalling tmdns and using dhcpd instead but if I

sh -x ifup eth0 ..... its still trying to use tmdns.

I guess I could try a reinstall.... I think its a conflict with the serial ports and network card ... at least it was running without serial ports last time in 9.0 but I wanted to use lirc with the creative IR.

Anyone got any ideas BEFORE I give up and reinstall and

lose your wife, your kids, your dog, and your car/truck

Well, really, the trick is to install the same stuff on the same hardware and add your new goodies to a working system!!!

What you are describing with your network is exactly what 9.2beta is doing.

Hardware conflicts should not exist at all if you set up your hardware in the bios. Not the auto configure, but actually set up every slot that has something in it, and the com ports, so that the os merely asks the bios and the bios tells it where to go. I have a habit of only turning on what I am using in the bios. It is senseless to have an irq conflict on a com port that you don't even use.

Now, your network situation: run netconf as root, and set up your box from there. It is no doubt searching past your gateway for the dhcp server. I don't know why it would do that, but that is what 9.2beta is doing, only netconf crashes! And when I copy my networking files into 9.2, it crashes. Your static ip should work, but now your dhcp server might be preventing the communication. Just launch netconf and fix it there.

Either do it quick or keep spare wives and children etc. around. But I must warn you, it is very expensive! :mystismiles:

First LOL....

Either do it quick or keep spare wives and children etc. around. But I must warn you, it is very expensive!

Yeah, it appears its getting it from somewhere .... I guess I could trace it from my sme-server but that just satisfied the curiosity not WHY. I suspect its from my DSL modem at the other side ?? or the ISP. ??

I tried from my laptop from static IP to DHCP and its working faultlessly (9.0) ....Same switch and evrything ... I suscepted the cable so swapped em over and same thing ....

I tried netconf too. Still same thing... Its annoying the hell outa me

I got past that last night and started editing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts by hand.

The thing is even with a static IP it won't ping the laptop or the gateway.

Ive done the whole static IP. Then manually route add default gw stuff. but it won't ping or be pinged....its like its on a different network....

I might reinstall-it would be quicker but it looks like something worth looking into for 9.2 :wink:

Well see what i do...

I figure ill take the serial out at the bios and reinstall.

Don't know about the extra 1/2GB though.... it worked in Enterprose kernel before....

edits

Well, thats it.

Reinstall with noacpi and serial ports disabled in bios.

Works, automatically put enterprise kernel

Im trying from it now....

Sorry I chickened out of fixing it ... as pointed out ... demands :wink: