Why are root logins not allowed? [solved]

dan in Jersey

I'm embarrased to have to ask this question, for I have been using MAndiva One 2008 for a few months now. Why are root log ins not allowed in Mandriva??

I downloaded and installed Picasa, but it won't work. I uninstalled using thepackage manager, but the menu entry is still there under "graphics-[+]other" I tried to delete both the Picasa launch entry and the "[+]other" folded it resides in, but when I go to save the file, it won't write to the menu because I don't have permission. I tried opening a terminal within the /.config folder, and entered "su", then my root password, but it still wouldn't give me access to the folded (that has worked for me in the past).

Again, whay are root log ins not allowed in Mandriva???... I haven't had this problem with other distros. I prefer Mandriva over PCLOS, but things are easier to configure in PCLOS. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Note: I did quicly red through the FAQ's. I wasn't sure where in the forum to post this question. I apologize if I picked the wrong place.

Edited by dan in Jersey

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is more of a security question, so I'll move it there... ;)

I think it's a general question about how to configure the OS. We have different definitions of "security," as to how it pertains to computing. As you can see, I have made few posts, yet most seem to get moved. I wish you would put a "General Questions" thread at the top, so one doesn't have to spend more time trying to figure out what thread to list the question, then it does to type the question. I'll post my question over at linuxquestions.org. There, I'm more likely to get an answer to my question before it gets moved. Great OS!....poor forum.

It's not recommended to login to any desktop gui as root, this is why it's not a default option. I'm sorry, I don't have the time to go into the security issues now. I would suggest that if you have a problem with your menu that you can't edit as user, that you open a terminal and do

kdesu kmenuedit

Open /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc in a text editor and change AllowRootLogin=false to AllowRootLogin=true

Thank you for the reply. I tried that, opened with KWrite, but again, when I try to save the file after making the change I get a "permission denied" error. How can I edit that menu with root privelidges? Thanks agin for the reply.

kdesu kwrite

kdesu kmenuedit

Thanks!! That problem is solved!

I would still like the option to log in as root.....is there a way to edit that file to allow this? I don't know the commands to edit in a terminal.

Got it....thanks!!!.... I know it was a stupid question, but those simple codes were all i needed. I also understand now how it works. I understand the security risks asssociated with running as root, and the damage (especially from new users like myself) that can be done. Both PCLOS & openSuSE have root logins as an option. I don't log in as root often, but I have needed to to delete wifi modules so it would look to the ndiswrapper driver by default, and to edit menus. Thank you agin, it is appreciated.

Edited by dan in Jersey

I don't know the commands to edit in a terminal.

For editing in a terminal try nano. It is easy to use and has all the important commands listed at the bottom of the window. If you are editing files with long lines that should not wrap, start it with the w option:

nano -w file_name

If you have set your software sources with Easy-Urpmi, you can go to "MCC/installing software" and type

openasroot

Install it, go to your home en rightclick on a folder or a document. A popup is coming up, click on action and you see

edit as root

by a file, or you see

open as root

by a folder.

You see there is no need to login as root.

We have different definitions of "security," as to how it pertains to computing. As you can see, I have made few posts, yet most seem to get moved. I wish you would put a "General Questions" thread at the top...

When you've been here a bit longer, you may become a mod or admin, then you can decide where topics belong. I don't see how creating a dustbin forum (General Questions) would solve anything - you would still have to define what went there, and if it was just doubtful topics, they would still have to be moved to the right forum.

I'll post my question over at linuxquestions.org. There, I'm more likely to get an answer to my question before it gets moved. Great OS!....poor forum.

Threatening to go to another forum doesn't have much effect, I'm afraid - and whether a topic is answered before or after it's moved, is neither here nor there.

Slagging off the forum when you've recently arrived, is not the best way to make friends, but as you can see, our members are quite tolerant.

our members are quite tolerant

Yes we are.

I contemplated making a comment regarding the whiny tone presented by dan in Jersey but decided against it. I sensed he was frustrated. I am not sure he would have been treated so well on a different forum.

Edited by daniewicz

Aye, I'm so tolerant I didn't reply :)

But yes, bad idea to login as root. You do that under MS products such as Windows, and then look at how many probs you have. Best not to unless you don't care about your system being compromised nice and easily though.

Aye, I'm so tolerant I didn't reply :)

But yes, bad idea to login as root. You do that under MS products such as Windows, and then look at how many probs you have. Best not to unless you don't care about your system being compromised nice and easily though.

to answer the original question however, the NO ROOT decision was a corporate decision made several versions ago (2007?) by MDV.

you here a LOT of negative flak about logging in as root.

however there have been times (see my cooker post) where I've had to login as root.

but once you get down to using KDESU XXXX it really becomes 2nd nature.

j