Preparing for upgrade to Spring

wahur

So its out and i want to upgrade - there are OOo2.4 and few other things I need.

Main problem is, I have Virtualbox setup running XP as guest. This setup is mission-critical and losing it would mean reactivation of Windows and re-licencing of some tools. This would cost money.

How to back up existing setup so that I could use existing image/machine after the upgrade?

I tested this once before and failed miserably, so now I am very careful.

If you store the VM's in the default location, ~/.VirtualBox, then either keep your Home partition, or back up ~/.VirtualBox. If you store the VM's in some other location, then I think the files that you need to back up are the *.vdi files (one for each VM). If this VM is mission-critical, then I'm surprised that you do not back it up regularly.

Jim

Well, thats what I thought. And thats why I am asking here.

As I said, I failed miserably even when i tried to start my machine after moving the .vdi to another partition (/home was too small).

So your surprise is serious worry for me - I may have many backups, but what's the use...

W