Mandriva 2008 Spring is out

yossarian

Full announcement:

Mandriva is proud to announce the release of its latest distribution, Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring. This new release brings features like full support for the Asus Eee, easy synchronization with Windows Mobile 5 and later, Blackberry, and Nokia devices, a new parental control utility, the Elisa multimedia center, Codeina for easy installation of necessary media codecs, PulseAudio by default and much more. Software updates include KDE 3.5.9 (with 4.0.2 available from the official repositories), GNOME 2.22, OpenOffice.org 2.4, Linux kernel 2.6.24.4, X.org 7.3, Compiz 0.7, and more.

If you just can't wait, you can download the One (live / install CD) or Free (traditional installer, 100% free / open source software) editions of Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring right here. Direct BitTorrent download links can be found here, as the mirrors are likely to be overloaded for several days. The commercial edition, Powerpack, featuring exclusive commercial applications, is available immediately for direct download, and can be pre-ordered in boxed form (delivery will begin in two weeks), at the Mandriva Store. A large amount of information on the new release is also available at the Mandriva Wiki:

Main 2008 Spring page

2008 Spring Release Tour: a graphical guide to what's new in 2008 Spring

2008 Spring Release Notes

2008 Spring Errata

2008 Spring Reviewer's Guide: a useful read if you plan to review 2008 Spring

Software updates include KDE 3.5.9 (with 4.0.2 available from the official repositories),

Direct BitTorrent download links can be found here, as the mirrors are likely to be overloaded for several days.

There will be a lot of interest from people for KDE 4, yet as you point out 3.5.9 is installed by default and the mirrors will be choked. Therefore wouldn't have been wiser to release an ISO with KDE 4 on it and distribute it via bittorrent, rather than have people updating through the mirrors? :unsure:

Similarly your UK mirror isn't synced, I would have though it to be good practice to make sure that all mirrors were synced before announcing a release. :unsure:

Yay!!!

/me clicks the bittorrent link.

BTW: are there any known issues that I should know of, if I want to upgrade via urpmi later? You know... things that might break (except thos listed on the errata page).

Go and get it, FINE, but Go Get it and FEED IT, even better, my upload speed is not great (448 Kbps) but still i'll be happy to put my QNAP up to work for the first couple of week!

Stef

:D

My upload and download speed are quite identical. Seeding is not a problem. :) But the torrent speed is rather slow this time. :huh: Download speed is at roughly 80 Kb/s... 16 hours to go. Using an ftp-mirror, I might have downloaded the dvd in roughly one hour. :juggle:

... my upload speed is not great (448 Kbps) but ...

... But the torrent speed is rather slow this time. :huh: Download speed is at roughly 80 Kb/s... 16 hours to go.

:shocking:

spoiled first world country citizens. :sad:

i guess this is a good time to upgrade my aging lappy as any. ill probably have the iso finished by next month. :D

ciao!

Well, I've put the torrent on yesterday evening for the mini cd duo and the dvd 64 bits, all is there this morning so I can give it a start...

:D

I didn't use torrent. I downloaded it directly from the directory. Anyway, good to hear you managed. Good luck!

Edited by yossarian

There will be a lot of interest from people for KDE 4, yet as you point out 3.5.9 is installed by default and the mirrors will be choked. Therefore wouldn't have been wiser to release an ISO with KDE 4 on it and distribute it via bittorrent, rather than have people updating through the mirrors? :unsure:

Similarly your UK mirror isn't synced, I would have though it to be good practice to make sure that all mirrors were synced before announcing a release. :unsure:

Not a big enough issue to warrant building a separate One. And no, we can't wait for 'all mirrors', as what would be the cut off? We have some mirrors that only sync once a week, do we finalize the release and then sit on our hands for a week? We make sure the primary mirrors are synchronized and then we release.

Am I right to assume that in the absence of repo's for 2008 Spring, we can use the cooker repo's for installing software?

Cooker and 2008 Spring are the same aren't they while cooker is frozen?

And I'd like to add: as for 12 hours ago (maybe things changed since then), the urpmi update from the MCC finds only four updated repos, none of them works. easy-urpmi also doesn't offer updates for 2008.1 yet. How can I update the OS?

For example, I upgraded with MDV Free from 2008.0 to 2008.1 yesterday. The 3-D effects don't work, I suspect it's because I didn't install the proprietary Nvidia driver (which doesn't come with Free version, if I understand correctly). In what repos can I find it?

Other than that, the upgrade worked wonderfully out of the box. Thanks!

Edited by yossarian