Using cell phone with...?

Mandriva-user

Anyone using cell phones with any linux goig into net.

Ciao :D

Not sure exactly what you mean. I am getting a Sony-Erricson with blue tooth which I am planning to run with a blue tooth stick in my comp.

There are some nice projects running for Bluetooth in Linux.

Is that what you meant?

Guest c_m_f

i think they meant it as using a mobile phone as the phone line to connect to the net, eg with a laptop whilst travelling.

well thats how i took it

Either that or connecting a cellphone/PDA thingie that seems to be available only in Asia to linux to transfer addressbook, appointment, schedules, etc.

That reminds me to check on my friend whether his experiment with connecting his cellphone/PDA to linux works or not.

I was reading april lxf39 and it tells about all linux for cell phone to use ...

Motorola finally decisively choosing linux and java to power its high-end personal communicators and for mobile phone sector that is good one step ahead.

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard the possibility of using firewire/usb/bluetooth to connect a PC to a cell phone with said capabilities then using it to dial out to the internet...

never seen it occur, however :-/

I've heard the possibility of using firewire/usb/bluetooth to connect a PC to a cell phone with said capabilities then using it to dial out to the internet...

never seen it occur, however :-/

I've seen it in action, it rocks! But that was with this dude's M$ machine, dunno about Linux.

First soulese, be really carefull with your volume button, they come off.

Mine is f****d, i can't turn the volume up anymore unless I buy a bluetooth headset!

OK, Ive got it working as a hack.

The bluetooth dongle is autodetected and the relevant modules loaded.

But I can't get it working as a modem although I haven't tried that hard.

My hack is I run Win98 in vmware and use it from there. First you need to disable the modules with a rmmod. I think its bluez you need to remove and then start the virtual session. Its really cool for access on the train etc.

Regarding the t68i though I can't transfer anything apart from addesses and agendas. I want to back up my text messages etc but no chance.

First soulese, be really carefull with your volume button, they come off.  

Mine is f****d, i can't turn the volume up anymore unless I buy a bluetooth headset!

:mystilol: That sucks rocks...

I have been reading up on the bluetooth projects for linux, they are awesome, its the actual phone OS that prevents you from syncing with, say, Evolution (conduits must also be written, obviously).

My hack isn't graceful but works :-)

I need to either buy a new cell phone or send it away for 3 weeks for repair. Be real careful with that volume button. Once you loose it you revert to minimal volume every time you switch off.

p.s. Found it needs rebooting every so often. If not it refuses to dial out??

I'm starting to dislike the phone. Its slow, you can speed it up apparently its underclocked to preserve battery life.

Also my charging socket is damaged so sometimes it just stops charging. Eeek.... I wish Sony would bring some more extras out like Nokia do. Its annoying not being able to make my own theme or whatever.

Software bugs too. Apart from the reboot issue, try and send a contact by SMS. You can't getto the address book so you have to write down the persons number your sending it to. Kinda defeats the object cos if you were going to do that you mightest well write down the one your sending....

Also the sms memory is seperate to other memory. You can have lots left but still have to delete the sms's.

Anyway, it beats my old motorolla menu's hands down but I might just get a Nokia to replace it.