Cable internet

iphitus

Hi

I'm trying to install my cable internet in Linux

However i can't get it going. I live in Melbourne, Australia and have my cable internet provided by Optus. I have a Motorola 4200 Surfboard cable modem and am using through an ethernet connection (see below). My network card is supported by linux. I have Mandrake 9.0

Thanks

James

MODEM

|

|

| <- Ethernet Cable

|

|

COMPUTER

Is the ethernet cord that goes from your modem to your computer a patch cable or a crossover cable? Do you need to use PPoE? Do the lights on your ethernet card light up? Do the lights on the cable modem light up?

well you would have had to of set it up under 98/XP, there would have been a program you installed on your system to type in a user name and password.

how did you set up the network in the 98/XP side of things?

In 98 I just ran the install for the modem driver, it asked if i would be using USB or Ethernet (i went ethernet, I can't use USB) and it installed. I then got the optus CD out and installed that. It setup everything for me. It asked for my username and i gave that.

So pretty easy.

James

i've tried the wizard. no go

I found out I have to set the hostname to my Optus HSD Client ID. Still not working though.

Is there anyone out there who uses Optus Cable on their Linux MDK system?

How did you install it? can you give me instructions?

Any suggestions?

james

Maybe a good starting point would be to open up the networking screen on windows and write down all the TCP/IP settings. That should tell you if DHCP is used or not and any automatic/manual gateway and DNS settings.

Glitz.

Guest KShots

Also, make sure you're using the same ethernet card that plugged into it with Win98/XP... I recently went thru a large spiel of a problem with three other ethernet cards that wouldn't talk to my modem, and the problem went away when I used the one they gave me. Go figure :(. If your linux box is also your Win98/XP box, then ignore me :) (You wouldn't have that problem).

Hi,

I also use this modem with DHCP and at first I had trouble installing it. Then I figured out (after a *really, really, really* long time) that I actually had to restart the modem to make it work (to give me a new adress I guess). What I did was pull out the electric plug, then put it back in. Then it worked perfectly for me. If you think everything should work, but it does not, you might want to try this.

I hope this post can help some other people with this, so they don't have to suffer as long as I did ;)

Darkelve