2008.1 - is that still cooker?

mindwave

as an early seeder (I have about 9 uploads running right now at 16k each), I grabbed the MDV2008.1 FREE DVD last night and tried to upgrade my 2008 PWP.

I know , I should have waited another 24 hours and I would have gotten that PWP today!

But I didnt. and I was rather taken aback when it said it would take 45 minutes, heck I dont think my ORIGINAL install took that long.

Anyway I was at 99% and got the STRANGEST error, it was 1130 so I didnt get it entirely, BUT I do know I got stuck in a perpetual loop,

An error would pop up saying it had an invalid symcall and then ask if I had any additional medium, it the (VERY quickly) calculated the time remaining, zipped through the status bar, and errored out again.

Clear the error (same one) and your right back where you were!

so I thought I'd reboot and tryy again w/ a new DVD burn.

When I reboot, it goes to CLI which is how it was set and then I log in as my test user and I get an error saying KDE cant start, no WRITE permissions to /kde.tmp.(?)

So I reboot again get to my CLI, log in as root and everything loads fine, WITH 2008.1

Now as I said, it was almost midnight, SO I started another DVD burning, BUT since I'll have the PWP tonite I'll try that one as well.

Boy am I glad I started on my test box instead of my real one......

J

:wall:

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

If you do manage to install it, Please let us know how it runs. I'm dying to know/download, but unfortunately i've got to wait for it to hit an HTTP server or FTP :angry2: .

*EDIT*

As of 14:35 Baghdad time, 2008.1 is up for download on all public mirrors. Thing is, I don't see GNOME ONE or KDE ONE for that matter. BOOO. Good Luck fellas.

Edited by supermario

ok, being the stubborn cuss that I am, and the fact that the PWP dvd version took MUCH longer than I thought it should, I figured I'd retry the upgrade with a NEW re-burn of MDV2008.1FREE.

same issue.

everything seems to go fine, until almost the VERY end when I get the error:

an error occurred UNDEF SUBROUTINE & MDK::COMMON::SYSTEM::UNIQ::CALLED

at which point you click ok and it goes back to the "begining of the install" it scans for packages, recalcs the time (quickly) and then errors out again.

being stubborn, but not stupid, i have started the install of the 2008.1 PWP with a completely clean reformat the HD style install

i'll let you know how that goes.

BTW this is a 2200MHZ AMD Semperon 512MB shared ram w/ vid

j

Awesome...BTW Found the GNOME ONE Edition if anyone cares. Link at Distrowatch.com

ok, being the stubborn cuss that I am, and the fact that the PWP dvd version took MUCH longer than I thought it should, I figured I'd retry the upgrade with a NEW re-burn of MDV2008.1FREE.

same issue.

everything seems to go fine, until almost the VERY end when I get the error:

an error occurred UNDEF SUBROUTINE & MDK::COMMON::SYSTEM::UNIQ::CALLED

at which point you click ok and it goes back to the "begining of the install" it scans for packages, recalcs the time (quickly) and then errors out again.

being stubborn, but not stupid, i have started the install of the 2008.1 PWP with a completely clean reformat the HD style install

i'll let you know how that goes.

BTW this is a 2200MHZ AMD Semperon 512MB shared ram w/ vid

j

well as promised, I donloaded and burmed PWP 2008.1 last night and did a complete install from scratch (since this is just a test box I didnt try and "save" anything.

everything went fine.

had MDV reformat/repartition the drives and it was all good.

matter of fact it took almost HALF the time that the previous attempt to run it as un upgrade did.

but so far everything seems 10% stable and good!..

j