Australian MDK ISO mirror

iphitus

Hopefully for me, Bigpond will have it up quite soon. They have been extremely quick in the past, especially with the recent beta and rc versions, so I am prepared to wait that little longer.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hi all,

I've strayed from the fold for a while now and am about to return.

The only mirror I could find at the moment is ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/MandrivaLinux...ial/iso/2009.0/ .

It only has the "free" iso's at this stage. On another tack, G'day AussieJohn.... we must catch up for a beer at some stage.....

I've found mirrors in europe ... nl, be,... etc to be the fastest from here!

growler

Edited by growler

I am now downloading 2009 from Bigpond. It was posted about a half an hour ago.

Download time expected to be 7.5 hours.

It is the ....mandriva-linux-free-2009-dvd-x86_64.iso.....I presume this is the correct one for my Athlon 64X2 Dual-core 6400+ processor.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I am not sure. As far as I know, I have. In the past, 2008-Spring, I just downloaded a single DVD iso that was listed. This time there is two DVD versions listed.

Maybe they were combined in 2008-Spring and because of size restraints for DVD have now been separated. I seem to recall something about 2008-Spring that it would install what was needed, namely one or the other. I could be wrong on that, I really don't know. If the one I am downloading now (presently just past half way) doesn't work then I will simply download the other one. :D

Cheers. John.

I too now have the 64 running. No signs of anything really troublesome yet. I selected KDE instead of my usual Custom in the install so I have the KDE4 setup to give it a full tryout and see if it can win me over.

Sound works no problem. Left Thumb Mouse Button works out of the box. [Why the heck an update in 2008-Spring can't be supplied to do so also, really beats me. It is a real pain in the a++e having to use the AdamW workaround (thanks Adam for that) each and every time I reboot.]

One thing I am particularly NOT impressed with is the nonsense installing a printer. Reminded me of the pernickety setting up of printers back in versions 2006 and 2007.

In 2008-Official and 2008-Spring the routine was almost automatic and almost no hands-on whatsoever. Immediately you switched on the Printer, you got a popup asking if you wanted the printer installed. You clicked OK and away it went.

2009 is a huge step backwards now regarding printers.

I will take some of these thoughts into another new thread.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

One thing I am particularly NOT impressed with is the nonsense installing a printer. Reminded me of the pernickety setting up of printers back in versions 2006 and 2007.

In 2008-Official and 2008-Spring the routine was almost automatic and almost no hands-on whatsoever. Immediately you switched on the Printer, you got a popup asking if you wanted the printer installed. You clicked OK and away it went.

I agree. Printer set-up is a bit problematical. What seemed to work best for me, was to leave the printer switched off and click on Printer set up in MCC. After it had installed all of the packages, I then switched on the printer and it was identified and set up automatically. However, it failed to check my locale and so set up a "letter" page size instead of A4.

Jim

Hello Jim.

I think you have just discovered the answer. All previous versions installed the basic printer packages and when the printer was detected it gave popup asking for permission to proceed which then downloaded the balance of the packages required for the particular printer.

It seems that 2009 does not install those basic packages hence having to go into MCC. When one finally works out how to start or work the process (definitely not at all intuitive), only then does it start to install any printer packages. The entire process is a totally backwards step, back to the hard old days.

Jim, I will keep that in mind for the future but I think instead that I will next time use Custom during install and make sure the basic packages are installed for printing in the first place.

Cheers. John.