A little problem with HD space

Guest buya

hi all.

totally new to mandriva and i am experiencing some problems with my hard disk space when i want to install some software.

I have dual boot with winxp.

for linux HD = 65Gb

/dev/sda5 - swap =3.8Gb

/dev/sda6 - / =8.4Gb

/dev/sda7 - /home = 54Gb

the problem is all software i have installed went to /dev/sda6 and now ran out of space but i want them to be in /dev/sda7 since it got more space.

Pls how can i do this or maybe join sda6 with sda7 and only have swap and /home.

Thank you

[moved from Software by Greg2 – Welcome aboard. :)]

You need to answer Gregs question.

Even if you were to install the entire DVDs applications you would not fill root normally with a partition that size. It seems like you have muffed something somewhere.You may be storing data in one of the root partitions other than home. e.g. /usr or /etc or /var and so on. These partitions are for the OSs use rather than the users storage use.

Cheers. John.

If you selected the option to copy the DVD to your hard drive during installation then that would account for the filling up of your / partition.

First set up on-line media sources, if you have not already done so, and then either just delete the contents of the DVD from /var/ftp/pub or move them to your /home partition. Doing the latter, you could use them to set up local media sources.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

I have played and settle with my laptop :) However, I noticed that I have ./root is getting full real soon while ./home has plenty of GB available....

I don't know how it happened but I thank Karamba running on my desktop and noticed that /root has smaller GB hard drive than /home but most software are in /root to running...

If I save something into /home, will that also increase /root hard drive??

/dev/sda1 - /root =8.4Gb

/dev/sda6 - /home = 81Gb

Greg2, I will go home and get information (db) for you all guys and hopefully to help solve this problem... Since my laptop is now freeze everytime I leave it idle... I suspect too much memory in one hard drive which is why smaller GB that is almost full...

Is that possible to switch /root and /home?? Because /home is in /root, anything store data in /home will also be in /root??

Edited by dmzeplin

If you save something in /home, no it will not increase the space in / because it's not the same partition. Also, /root is a directory within / so it's not so clear what you're writing exactly.

Packages will be in / because they are installed into /usr. Of course, if you partitioned /usr separate from /, then you would not use so much space in /.

/home is not in /.

/ = /dev/sda1 = 8.4GB

/home = /dev/sda6 = 81GB

Therefore, saving files to /home are in the 81GB partition. Anything saved outside of /home is saved to / which equals 8.4GB.

Thanks... I will check on that again... Here is an example....

I just installed karamba by MCC methods, and I save other features from KDE-Look.org like SMonitor.theme in karamba which saved /usr/share/karamba/SMonitor.theme, so is that saved in /home or ./??

Hope it saved in /home?? I am trying to reduce from ./ area because my laptop gets freeze when it become idle... I don't know if it is the reason that effect the problem... Obviously, /home has plenty of available storage left...

I think (THINK) that I noticed.......

( I will double check for better accurate tonight when I get home )

2.5 GB out of 7.5 GB in ./

Only 248K out of 81 GB in /home

Edited by dmzeplin

Here is an information:

[root@localhost xxx]# df
Filesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1			 7.7G  2.8G  4.5G  39% /
/dev/sda6			  81G  289M   80G   1% /home

sda1 is / and sda6 is /Home... I opened two media one for sda1 and sda6 and to compared them... You may noticed Themes folder in left side, and the right side is disappeared by remove in console (rm).... sda1 is still stuck at it while sda6, theme disappeared?? Why??

Is there any way I can clean up or delete from sda1??

Also, if I set up urpmi, will I be able to control and tell them to install in sda6 instead of sda1??

post-9985-1209004901_thumb.jpg

Edited by dmzeplin

You have plenty of free space in /

What is your concern?

The image you posted contains two views of the same folder, which is in sda1 i.e. /

The /usr directory is in / not in /home (sda6)

Jim

Edit: I've just noticed that your problem is related to your laptop freezing. (It can be confusing when you hi-jack another thread instead of starting a new one.) I think you need to look at other aspects of your system. The fact that / is 40% used would not cause your laptop to freeze.

You may noticed Themes folder in left side, and the right side is disappeared by remove in console (rm).... sda1 is still stuck at it while sda6, theme disappeared?? Why??
Maybe the view on the left hasn't been properly refreshed? Try the refresh button, or navigate away and then back again.

As has already been said, 39% used is fairly healthy for a / partition (also note that / is not the same as /root). You've got over 4 Gigs of free space on that partition, that's plenty!

Maybe the view on the left hasn't been properly refreshed? Try the refresh button, or navigate away and then back again.

As has already been said, 39% used is fairly healthy for a / partition (also note that / is not the same as /root). You've got over 4 Gigs of free space on that partition, that's plenty!

where can i refresh button??

Sorry if I am annoying... Thanks for your patient with my slow learner, as I success changed ./ = 15 GB and reduced SWAP = 616...

There is still freeze issues but I will stop other application that I added previous...

Thanks again..