MCC 3d module [solved]

viking777

I decided to have a play with the 3d module in MCC today. I don't know why, I don't even like 3d desktops, but it is raining outside and I was just playing, so I enabled compiz.

Now I have been testing 3d desktops since the early days of 'Beryl', so I am not surprised when I booted into the new desktop to find that I have no window decorations and that all my virtual desktops have been merged into one, that is just standard. What did surprise me though is the other little tricks that Mandriva threw at me. My fairly powerful processor running at very high speed due to the load placed on it by the X-server was not a big deal, but the lack of any keyboard whatsoever was unexpected and hard to explain. The real showstopper though was that it was quite impossible to launch the MCC 3d module once again in order to switch the effects off, it point blank refused to load, although MCC itself and as far as I can tell all the other modules in it worked perfectly.

So the important question as far as I can see is, how do you turn off 3d effects if you cant access the MCC 3d module?

I tried XFdrake in a console but that doesn't do it, I tried booting into KDE4 but that wouldn't run the MCC module either (although strangely it did have window decorations?), I tried replacing 'xorg.conf' with an earlier copy but nothing worked. I just couldn't find a way to switch it off, so in the end I resorted to reloading a disk image from a couple of days ago and I am up and running again and just need to do a lot of updates. That is OK on Cooker, it is a testing release and you expect to have to do stuff like that occasionally, but could this happen on 2008.0 as well, or Cooker when it reaches final release status?

There should be a way of disabling these effects from a console login, perhaps an extension of XFdrake. Perhaps there is but I just don't know about it?

Finally though I should say that my hardware is fully capable of running 3d effects (I have had them running perfectly on Ubuntu) so this problem should not have arisen in the first place.

Edited by viking777

I would suggest first shutting down the X display (for example, by pressing Alt-Shift-F1), logging into root, and then run Drak3d, or XFDrake. You'll find it in the menus.

Regarding your problems - I am running 3D effects on my machine ever since 2007.0, and usually it works out-of-the-box. You can come back with more details about the problem you are suffering from and have the expert's advice (probably driver issue, but I'm no expert :) ),