Wine and Kazaa Lite

I used Motts FAQ (Thanks Motts!) in order to install and get Kazaa running. Everything seems to work fine, except when I go to play a song that I've downloaded it won't play back. Any ideas? Keep in mind that I've never even used Kazaa in Winblows so I have no real idea of how it works other than what my daughter told me.

Also if I can get things working what's the best software to play the videos with? I have something to prove here so this is VERY important! :roll:

TIA!

are you trying to use the kazaa player (or does lite not have this?) or are you downloading them and playing them in XMMS?

for video: i like xine, but mplayer (gmplayer for GUI) is also good.

Kazaa has a bad rep as spyware... There are a ton of alternatives that play natively under linux such as Limewire, GtkGnutella, Lopster. I'm sure there are more too.

Regarding video playing, urpmi mplayer is the best for watching any kind of movie (.mov, .avi, .wmv, whatever). Ogle is good for DVD watching due to its support of DVD menus. Mplayer can watch a DVD as well, but doesn't support the menus, it just plays. To get something else you have to guess what chapter/title its in.

i just read from pclo that mldonkey has just released a new version that supports various p2p networks which included kazaa! you might want to try the new version which can be found in mldonkeyworld.com (at least thats the link that i remember).

ciao!

According to my daughter there's a built in player but I don't know. I can't find where it's downloading the songs to so I can't try another player. I've checked every folder in the Kazaa Lite directory. As to the spyware from what I read Kazaa Lite isn't supposed to have any. :?

But as soon as I can boot back in Linux I'll try out mldonkey. The thing is I'm trying to get my daughter to use Linux instead of Winblows so I'd like to get everything working for her. (I only use it for my job!)

yeah, kazaa has a built-in player, but i doubt it will work in linux. i don't know how wine is with emulating sound players and the like. it should save downloaded files into Shared Folder or something to that effect. if all else fails, just search for the file name :)

Cannonfodder, Kazaa lite is something different that the usual Kazaa. It is supposed to be spyware free. Even if there would be spyware, I don't think those spyware programs would even install on Linux via Wine .. so not really a problem. I may be wrong though .. ??

Mistified, the build in player doesn't work under Linux. Wine isn't able to emulate it (video and audio). Wine sucks yeah I know. BTW, my downloaded files (mp3 or whata) goes right to a directory in my $HOME (don't remember the name and I'm at work anyway) .. look there carefully or look in $HOME/.wine/somewhere

So did anyone installed mldonkey 2.5 and used the fasttrack network successfully? .. I want to know!!! There is no ebuild for it right now (Gentoo) and the _static_ version doesn't seems to work with fasttrack (ok I'm dumb .. which is possible ;-) ).

MOttS

This may be offtopic slightly, but... giFT is the best. And if you MUST use a GUI, then go with giFTcurs... :P

I've run Kazaa in VMware, but not Wine... sorry.

Success!!! I couldn't find the downloaded files because they were downloading them in a location I wouldn't have thought of and then the file names are a bunch of numbers. Then it took a while to find something that would play them! Anyway, /me happy! :mystismiles:

Next, the videos. 8)

it should rename the files once they're completely...hmm, odd

MottS: i download the source .tar.gz from the sourceforge page for mldonkey, configure, make, make install and ran mlgui and it worked fine. even appears to (atleast attempt) connect to kazaa servers.