anoying xawtv icon

MadHattr

I installed xawtv, and a new ati tv tuner and there all working great now but i have an anoying Xawdecodewideo0 icon on my desktop that just doesnt want to be deleted i have deleted the file as root and for some reason it says it doesnt exist but it is still there and the icon itself cannot be deleted?

I had that icon on my desktop back in 9.0, it was when I had my webcam plugged in. I found to delete the icon, all I had to do was remove the webcam and it went away.

Not sure with it being a TV tuner card. You might want to check (for KDE) right click, go to configure desktop. On one of the tabs (apperance, I think, can't check right now since I'm at work) there is an option for icons to automatically appear on your desktop. Check through there and see if the XawTV icon is one of them. If so, uncheck the box and it should go away.

there actually is a file that generates that icon whenever you log in. I can't remember where it is, though. There is also a directory in /usr(/share?) that is a kde directory, it also has that icon in it. Doesn't go completely away if you delete it there, but it does go away for that login, so it will go away until you reboot. The icon is also in your home directory in ~/.kde somewhere.

This is all, of course, assuming that you are running KDE.

• 2 months later...

I am sorry I am at work and I am at a windows box so I cannot check if all of my suggestions are correct. There is a package called dynamic. Look for the files that it installs in rpmdrake. There are scripts located in /etc/dynamic that are used to create the icons on the desktops. one of them pertains to a webcam, this is the same script used for the xawtv icon. If you don't want the icon, comment out the lines pertaining to the tv tuner in this script. Then delete the icon from the dektop AND from where it is situated (ie, where the icon on the desktop is linked from, sorry i can;'t remeber where. Just right click on your destop xawtv icon and check the properties)

• 5 months later...

Hi guys

It is an old post but this can be usefull.. at least that was for me.

To remove permanently this anoying icon I had to rename as root (you can also delete the file if you feel bad today) file kde.desktop in /etc/dynamic/launchers/tvtuner. As simple as that.

cd /etc/dynamic/launchers/tvtuner
mv kde.desktop kde.desktop.bak

But thanks for the hint !

MOttS