Ixthusdan's gentoo questions

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have trashed gentoo. And all I did was mess with the sound. And the usb. And.... oh well. Nvidia claims my headers aren't there. I emerged the gentoo-sources, but still a no-go. It boots to command line. When I go to /usr/src/linux, all the stufff is there. Any ideas what I should do next?

try arch linux (or just checkout various ones on distrowatch). i'm going to, very soon...it looks awesome, and from what sarah31 has said, along with what i've learned on the website, i might like it a lot...more than i like gentoo

btw-check this shit out: http://www.archlinux.com

the real website for arch linux is: http://www.archlinux.org

shady...

What is it about arch linux that you really like? (like yourself I am lazy and can't be bothered to look just yet)

Edit: the www.archlinux.com link just took me to the gentoo site

yeah, i was pointing out that Gentoo apparently took a domain that people may think is that of arch linux...hence the "shady"

as for what it is about arch linux that i like...although I haven't installed it yet, mostly I like the fact that the files are highly optimized (i686-as good as it gets without getting cpu-specific) and don't have to be compiled. read: not so much waiting time. and, seriously, who wouldn't want to use a distro with a packaging tool named "pacman"?

Yes, spending three days not using my computer is not my idea of a good time. I'm looking at debian or something like that.

Yes, spending three days not using my computer is not my idea of a good time. I'm looking at debian or something like that.

hahaha....ouch. from what i've seen debian looks interesting, accept the install is apparently a pain in the arse (even avid debian users complain about it). i would suggest running the unstable version, stable is a tad bit out of date (atleast the last time i checked...). my friend up at school was stilling running GNOME 1-when I showed him GNOME 2.x he almost flipped and immediately wanted to install it. he rebuilt his box because he wanted to clean off the tons of crap he had accumulated (he's like me, hey look, cool program think i'll install it-2 weeks later, why did i install that?). i dunno if GNOME 2 is in stable...I just know stable is always a bit behind....but it is just that, _very_ stable.

Debian Stable probably has a backport of Gnome 2, but I wouldn't use anything other than official Debian packages, except in circumstances where the software doesn't exist in Debian.

Unstable is really not unstable, so long as you know what you're doing and don't go through with an upgrade that says it will remove <a bunch of stuff you need here>.

I usually check in the #debian IRC channel to see if anything is broken in unstable or not.

The way I install Debian is I use the first CD of Woody to install the base, then I change my apt sources to point at unstable, then I upgrade to it, and then apt-get install <everything I want here>. Works rather well.