USB sticks in Debian Etch

I'm playing with Debian Etch, and the only way I can figure out how to use my USB stick is to run the mount command manually as root in a console. But then only root can copy files, making it a bit of a pain.

In Mandriva 2007 Spring, the same USB stick is recognised when I plug it in, and a window pops up asking whether to mount it or not. Similarly to unmount it in Mandriva I just click on the KwikDisk task tray icon and select the device to disconnect. I can't find anything similar in Etch.

Am I missing something? Do I need to manually enter an fstab entry for this USB stick (and extra entries for other USB sticks I might use?), or is there some cool add-on or trick which manages the mounting/unmounting as well as Mandriva does?

Edited by neddie

Kernel:

Linux 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP

Output from dmesg:

usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 4-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 3
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
 Vendor: I0MEGA	Model: UMni128MB*IOM2E4  Rev:
 Type:   Direct-Access					  ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdb: 247808 512-byte hdwr sectors (127 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 08 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdb: 247808 512-byte hdwr sectors (127 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 08 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
sdb: sdb1
sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
usb-storage: device scan complete

There are no icons on the desktop, but when I go to my home directory I see the drive listed on the left as "IOMEGA UMni128MB". So I double click on that and it says "Unable to mount the selected volume" - "libhal-storage.c 1401 : info: called libhal_free_dbus_error but dbuserror was not set.

process 3745: applications must not close shared connections - see dbus_connection_close() docs. this is a bug in the application.

error: could not execute pmount".

But when I mount /dev/sdb1/mnt/stick/ from a root console, it mounts fine and I can read and write to it (as root). :unsure:

libhal-storage.c 1401 : info: called libhal_free_dbus_error but dbuserror was not set.

I've never had that problem, but I use a k7 kernel.

You may want to have a look at this bug report: bugs.debian.org

It suggest updating your system with the latest kernel, udev, hal, libhal1,

libhal-storage1, dbus, libdbus-*

Are you a member of the "storage" group? (I think this is the way it's called in Debian). It may also help adding yourself to the "dbus" and "hal" groups- if they exist.
Haven't got one called "storage" in /etc/groups, or usb or dbus. There is one called haldaemon, and I'm not a member of it. Do I need to be?

You may want to have a look at this bug report: bugs.debian.org

It suggest updating your system with the latest kernel, udev, hal, libhal1, libhal-storage1, dbus, libdbus-*

I've updated everything, and checked those packages match the latest version. Still no change.

make sure that dbus and hal are actually running too.
Hmmm. If I go to "Services" under Desktop -> Administration, then dbus and hal aren't listed. How would I add them and start them?

I added the backports as instructed, but apart from giving a warning about some missing signature and an update to libxine1 it did nothing. No new kernel, no new hal / dbus / anything else.

The output of uname -r is similar to the output of uname -a given earlier, ie "2.6.18-6-686".

Solved :D The answer was that I didn't belong to the plugdev group. With that group added, nautilus pops up showing the contents of the stick automatically, without even a prompt, and I get an icon on the desktop as you said - perfect! :thumbs:

Not sure why I didn't get that group, maybe there were some cunning options which I missed.

Also as a bonus, i fixed the annoyance that my laptop touchpad was horribly slow under Debian - I had to scrabble and scrabble just to move the pointer across the screen. But I looked at my xorg.conf from Mandriva and copied over the following lines:

Option "MinSpeed" "0.8"

Option "MaxSpeed" "1.0"

Option "AccelFactor" "0.015"

into Debian's xorg.conf, and everything is much nicer, much more sensitive! Not sure which of those three did the trick but they looked speed-related so I put them all in :D