Problem Updating Cooker [solved]

viking777

I have been used to receiving quite a lot of updates for Cooker on a daily basis, but over the past couple of days I have not been able to update at all. Every time I try I get only one package listed which is called 'meta-task20mdv2008.1' . Looking at its properties it is a small package of 35Kb. When I ask to update I just get the message 'Unrecoverable error: no package found for installation, sorry'. When I click on the OK button the package list is refreshed but rpmdrake exits abnormally and freezes with all functions unavailable and has to be shut down and restarted.

I have tried moving package sources from the French to the Dutch mirrors but the results are the same.

I have also tried

urpmi.update -a

in the command line but that just said that all packages are up to date.

It could be I suppose that there simply aren't any packages at the moment, but that does not explain the meta package being listed each time.

Is anybody else getting this? Does anyone know how to get round it?

Or am I just being impatient for my daily update fix when there are none available?

Edited by viking777

When updating all packages, use "urpmi --auto-update". This fetches new description files (hdlist.cz), then all new packages.

Thanks scoonma that did the trick. It first downloaded the meta-task package and then found 68 updates which I am downloading now. I don't know why rpmdrake wouldn't do it though?

Anyway I have made a note of that command for future reference.

It happened again. Exactly the same symptoms except that this time the package that caused the 'Unrecoverable error: no package found for installation, sorry'. message was

'urpmi' . I have looked on the Mandriva Club forum and on Bugzilla and I don't see anyone else reporting this, so is it just me?

For information when I used urpmi in a console to update it fetched over 120 packages.

This has happened on 3 updates out of the last 4 I have tried now, though strangely on one occasion it worked normally. The only difference on the one occasion when it worked was that it initially found more than one package to update. The three failures have all had just one package to update after the initial search. I find it difficult to believe that this would make a difference though.

I'll try again later and see what happens then.

Same again this morning.

Again only one package visible - rpmdrake. Same error messages.

urpmi updated 10 packages.

Of course it it possible that the update to rpmdrake might fix it. I have also tried selecting all available sources for updates instead of just those I want to see if this makes a difference (that is what urpmi does after all).

Edited by viking777

Yes, I have had this, and or similar happen several times, each time there would be some package/packages, but it wouldn't download/install, then the error message, then the list would refresh, then I would just install the listed updates, it doesn't seem to cause any problems, at least not that I have noticed.

I don't think that is quite the same thing aphelion because when this happens my MCC freezes as soon as the package refresh is complete and has to be shut down, it never actually downloads anything. However, I tried it again this afternoon and it worked properly, so perhaps the update to rpmdrake that I got via urpmi this morning has made a difference.

Only time will tell.

I don't think that is quite the same thing aphelion because when this happens my MCC freezes as soon as the package refresh is complete and has to be shut down, it never actually downloads anything. However, I tried it again this afternoon and it worked properly, so perhaps the update to rpmdrake that I got via urpmi this morning has made a difference.

Only time will tell.

Yes, I have had the freeze thing as well, but I found out quickly how to get around it easily. When it freezes, all I do is press the X (close) at the top of MCC, and it's business as usual, It doesn't close/shut down, but continues on. Works for me anyway :)

Edited by aphelion

Yes, I have had the freeze thing as well, but I found out quickly how to get around it easily. When it freezes, all I do is press the X (close) at the top of MCC, and it's business as usual, It doesn't close/shut down, but continues on. Works for me anyway :)

Thanks for that, if it happens again I will give that a try, but today at least it is working normally.

Edit. 1) your tip re 'unfreezing' MCC works' Thanks.

2) You can deduce from that that the problem has returned yet again.

Edited by viking777