Add and remove software problem

sharali

Hi

I am a new Mandriva 2008 user. I installed from DVD supplied from Linux For You Magazine. When I try to install software using this DVD a problem occurs. I get a message "insert Mandriva 2008 free installer in /dev/cdrom2". When I insert the DVD in my DVD drive it does not recognize the DVD .Simply repeats the message 'Insert .......'. My DVD drive is mounted as /dev/cdrom1, not as /dev/cdrom2. How can I change the device name in Add and remove software tool in Mandriva 2008. Pls help

[Moved from Tips&Tricks - arctic. Welcome aboard. :)]

Well an easy way, and seeing as the software on the DVD would be almost 6 months behind, you could just unselect the DVD media from MCC-Software Management-Configure media sources for install and update. This would then not use the DVD's any longer, and thus you wouldn't be asked to insert them, but would download the latest versions from the repositories. You can set up your repositories if you haven't already by either going to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and following the instructions, or you will find a link up to the right of this page. You can also set them up from within MCC, but it might be better to use Easyurpmi. Of course if you don't have a good internet connection, or don't want to download the software for whatever reason, this may not be good for you.

Edited by aphelion

Ok, well I may not be able to help, but from memory, there may have been a bug, which may or may not have been fixed, and thus may or may not be fixed by an update. I usually disable the DVD's after installation, and just download from then on, so I never really experienced the probem. I did one time however have a similar problem, where it would keep asking for the DVD over and over, I found that if I waited until the autoplay thing, what ever it is called, you know how a window pops up and asks you what you want to do when you insert a CD/DVD, well if I waited until that popped up before continuing with the MCC/urpmi promt after inserting the DVD it would work fine.

Also, just lately on Mandriva 2008.1 RC2 (cooker), it asked me to insert the DVD into /dev/cdrom1 , when it should have been /dev/cdrom, I just inserted the DVD into /dev/cdrom regardless, and it continued on happily. This only happened once.

Good Luck, hope you get it worked out.

My DVD drive is mounted as /dev/cdrom1, not as /dev/cdrom2. How can I change the device name in Add and remove software tool in Mandriva 2008.

As root, edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg and replace each instance of cdrom2 with cdrom1.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks. I have edited the file as suggested. This solved the problem partially. The DVD drive is recognized correctly. and device name changed. But my DVD is not recognized by Mandriva . May be there is some problem with the DVD supplied by Linux For you Magazine.

Ashraf

Welcome to MUB Sharafi.

It sounds like you have an incorrect path to the sources. You can correct this by starting 'Configure Your Computer', enter your root password when required. Once the application is started select 'Configure Media Sources' answer yes when you get a box asking if you wish to continue.

You will then get a list of the sources available to install from. You will need to check the path of each item in the list. To do this select an item (do not clear the tick mark) and then select edit from the choices at the right hand side. You will then be presented with a dialouge which wiil describe the path that that item is expecting. If it is not pointing to the correct place i.e. your installation disk you will need to change it. Quite a straight forward point and select. When you have corrected any mistakes click on save changes and you should be good to go.