Quick Apache question

Guest fat_larry

Guest fat_larry

I've done a search but haven't managed to find anything on this,

I'm on a university network. Apache is installed and running, and i can access http://127.0.0.1. Fantastico! The problem comes when i try to access the fully qualified IP for my machine (from my machine or any other), as anyone on our university network might want to do and the point of this whole exercise. e.g. my friend in a distant building on the same campus. The browser times-out and nobody is very happy :? I know this is possible as i had it going in Windows.

I'm guessing this is something to do with my network connection (?) and not Apache but I havent got a clue what. I can access remote shares on windows machines through Samba, ping anyone i like, but Apache still doesn't play nicely. My connection seems ok.

Before I start quoting endless config files is there anything obvious I could be doing wrong?

many thanks!

You said you had it running under windows. so I assume that your Univ. doesn't block port 80 to disallow people running web servers, this correct?

Did you change any settings for it? Maybe somehow accidentally turning off external access?

I'm sure some other people have better ideas :)

I would guess there's firewall software on your machine that is blocking the incoming network traffic.

Some less likely possibilities:

It could be a hosed host file. Check /etc/hosts and make sure there's nothing goofy in there... it should pretty much just say:

127.0.0.1     <hostname>      <hostname.domain>

Otherwise, you are probably using the wrong IP address. Try 'ifconfig' and see if the inet address for your ethernet card (probably eth0) is what you are using.

There's really not much else it could be, since you have verified that it works if you type http://127.0.0.1 from your local machine.

Good Luck!

Guest fat_larry

I'm not running any firewall software so it's not that.

/etc/hosts is normal, and the IP address is normal:

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:18:7D:EB:D8

inet addr:144.124.96.130  Bcast:144.124.103.255  Mask:255.255.248.0

....as for broadcast and net mask i'm assuming these are right....

:banghead:

With my small home network I have noticed the webpages I work on and served by Apache test fine at the 127.0.0.1 or localhost address on the machine with Apache. If I want to view them on my other machine on my network, I must use the 192.168.0.3 address as opposed to my actual IP number of 68.82.xx.xxx, which works from machines outside of my local network.

I also run without a firewall installed on either machine, but my router performs that function (192.169.0.1), and I must forward any needed ports to the 192.168.0.3 address.

Also, if the network is using any proxy, that could change the way you access it.

I hope this gives some insight to the problem.