suspend-to-ram

On my laptop running MDV2008, suspending to RAM takes about 10-15 sec, and resume takes about 15-20 sec? Is that normal? My imprsession is that under windows resume takes much less time.

Edit: Confirm the above: Under Windows, the same laptop takes 2-3 sec to suspend to RAM and about 5 sec to resume. WiFi takes a little longer to connect to the AP, but the system core seems to become operational almost instantaneously, compared to Mandriva. How can this be improved?

[moved from Hardware by Greg2]

this time looks normal to me. I don't think there is an easy way to speed things up at this point.

On my T42 it takes about 2 seconds to be fully suspended after pressing Fn + F4.

On this same T42 it take about 8 or 9 seconds to resume from Suspend after pressing Fn.

This is while booted into Mandriva 2007.1.

Yes, I would expect something similar. This makes me think that Mandriva 2008 suspend scripts are bloated... David, did you do anything special to make suspend to RAM work or do you just use the Mandriva scripts?

Everything I did is documented in the following thread: Enabling Hardware hotkeys on a ThinkPad T42

Thanks fo the excellent post. I have not followed all steps as yet but have just tried

echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

as described in the paper you mentioned. Indeed, suspend to RAM is very fast. Resume was noticably longer than it usually takes, but X came up fine. The wireless connection was lost on resume though (and maybe several other services).

Looking at the script, it writes the temporary state in a file on the harddrive, and therefore (a) one needs to allocate enough space on the drive, and (B) it is not strictly speaking sispend to RAM. Yet, it remains unclear why the script from Mandriva takes so long. Perhaps, I will post a question on the official Mandriva forum.

@ David Batson: the Fn+F7 script from ThinkWiki works 100% on T61 with Intel X3100 after I modified it to use xrandr . If you can use xrandr 1.2 on T42, this should work for you too.