Webcam driver needed

DaveinSpain

Would you please open a terminal and post the output of

dmesg |grep -i camera

and (as root)

lsmod |grep ov

for us to see?

According to the docs at rastageeks.org, this is working with the 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv kernel, using a module compiled from svn://rastageeks.org/svn/ov51x-jpeg/trunk SVN revision 96. Have you tried that or a more recent revision?

I have exactly the same webcam (Creative Live! Vista IM, USB id: 041e:4052) and have managed to make it work partially with the rastageegs.org driver:

http://www.rastageeks.org/ov51x-jpeg/index...IM_Live_Support

I got it to work with mplayer with this command

Mplayer: mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0

But no luck with skype. Skype recognizes this cam (it can be selected from the pull-down list), but shows only a black test image.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frank Peelo
I got it to work with mplayer with this command

Mplayer: mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0

But no luck with skype. Skype recognizes this cam (it can be selected from the pull-down list), but shows only a black test image.

Hi Dude67

did you find a solution to this? I have exactly the same thing. Click on the Test button, and I just have a black rectangle.

The black rectangle does not get updated: if I drag another window in front of it, the image from the dragged window remains in that rectangle after the window is removed (instead of the rectangle going black again).

I did get a different image once, when the first thing I did after starting up was to go into Skype and look at the video options. I got a green screen with some noise, which apparently is what is seen as my video at the other end of a Skype link. But after running mplayer as shown above, the rectangle was not updated. I think this may be a video update problem rather than a webcam problem (the green screen is my webcam issue). I'm using an ATi Radeon 7000 board with the freen "Radeon 9250 or older" driver.

There does seem to be hope for us, however. A post by "coverup" at https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...view=getnewpost (post #10) indicates that Skype can work on Mandriva.

Frank

Nope, sorry. I haven't bothered with this lately. The only time I have made use of skype video call was with my wife whenever I'm on the road. And if it doesn't work with a push of a button in Mandriva, I tell my wife to turn on WinXP and get skype from windows.

But hopefully some day I can get the video functionality in skype operating with Mandriva as well.