Update mozilla in mandrakeupdate and lose your plugins

pmpatrick

Hmm.. I have a similar problem but different way. Java works without reinstalling, but I have to reinstall realplayer plugin, and flash plugin for those to works. I think it's caused since the old plugin are put in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3/plugins while the new ones are put in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3.1/plugins.

Oh well.. reinstalling those two is pretty much no brainer :)

I upgraded via Mdk Update and had flash problems with Mozilla too.

I had added the libmozswfdec.so plugin and it caused the regular flash plugin not to work. Once I deleted the libmozswfdec.so plugin my flash returned to working condition.

Hope this helps someone else with flash problems after the upgrade. :)

I didn't install mozilla from rpm, but with the nice graphical installer of mozilal itself(althgoigh rpm is better for cleanup I think...:)). Anyway for java you need to make a sumlink to the java-plugin in your java-directory like your mentionned....Before I install jave I first move my plugin-fir to another place.. and move it back afterwards..Now this is not the best way, but hope they'll change that in teh future....

Well, how about this....I upgraded via mandrake update to 1.3.1, and have the java plugin symlink in both plugin directories, however, and rpm -qa java returns no pacages!

I must say that I didnt have a problem with flash since the upgrade--worked before and after the upgrade without a problem.

THis install is the boxed powerpack version. Are the problems on downloaded version installs?

robert

frosterrj, what do you get when you do

rpm -q j2re

I installed the jave rpm from Sun and the name is not java but j2re. And this one gets picked up after reinstallation w/o problems.

I think you should be able to avoid losing pluins by installing them in ~/.mozilla/plugins

I agree with paleo to install the j2re1.4.1 from sun.com site and then just change/ add a couple of symlinks:

I forget where I found the instructions, but here's the short version (terminal/command line):

cd /usr/bin

rm java javac jar

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1/bin/java java

DONE

Now, in order to be able to use Java in browsers, such as Mozilla, Galeon, and so forth, you must complete these additional steps:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3/plugins/  (or with latest mozilla /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3.1/plugins/)

If you got the J2RE, use this command:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

Didn't even have to edit that profile file as in previous versions to point system to java.

Be sure to check your browser is set for the right plug-in folders and that you scan for the new plug-ins. Doing it this way your folder remains the same "/usr/lib/mozilla-1.3/plugins"

I had done this before upgrading to mozilla 1.3.1 and it automatically changed these links for me. (lucky me for once)

I think realplayer, mplayer, and whatever, are probally in other plug-in folders and were not affected.