smart documentation rewrite

linux_learner

I am working on rewriting the smart documentation. I wrote the original, and I feel I could do a lot better. The original can be found here; http://labix.org/smart/howto

The version I am working on now can be found here http://downloads.thecompletecomputerresour...t/smartbook.odm

I am requesting your feedback. Of course, if you want to help out and write or edit it, thats fine to. Just resubmit it here.

Instead of uploading a gazillion files to my server, I won't change the version or the name. So check often for the current version and to see changes I'm making.

I've had a quick scan through (I'll have a more thorough read later), so far the only error I see is this typo:

Notice that Smart was not tunned to work in any of these cases, and the reason it works is because handling unusual situations was the initial project goal.

Thanks for catching that. That error has been there since the original. So about 4 years. I will correct it.

Any suggestions on what I should cover? Let me show you the document I wrote about two years ago. http://labix.org/smart/howto

Now in this rewrite, under smart usage, I plan to start out with channels. What are they? How to set them up, various things like that. Then move on to other bits of using smart.

Infact I first wrote that 2006-02-08

Edited by linux_learner

I have continued to add content to this book. There is still a lot I have yet to add. So please continue to review the book, and tell me what you think, and what it needs. Currently the book is 24 pages long.

I go in and explain metadata, what it is and why it's important. I also explain packages and package managers. I haven't gotten to using smart yet. Working there.

The more that get involved and provide feedback, the better. Knowledge of smart is not required. In fact, being a newbie is quite helpful. Of course, if you know smart, that is also helpful.

I am now done with Supported sources. Next up is Setup commands.

When I did supported sources this time, I didn't just provide a table and list. I explained each one.

Take a look and see what you think.

OK, I have now covered how to add, edit and remove channels in smart. This is the part where I really need your help. I want it to be friendly to newbies, while addressing the more experienced users. Since I have used smart for over two years, to me, this is second nature.

I don't care whether you've used smart before or not. In some ways I prefer that you haven't, cause then you're coming in as a newbie. So I want to be thorough, but also technically accurate.

These are my suggestions through page twelve. I'll add more as I have time to finish reading.

Who is smart for? Some considerations could be, why are you dissatisfied with your current package manager?

The case for smart

In this section real case scenarios will be described: this includes Smart's behavior in comparison with other tools, and handling unusual operations.

The error shown makes the user believe . . . This is not the case.

Another misguiding error messages: skip, Let's go furhter

(586_1cl shows it's not native in this specific case) This clearly shows that the APT algorithm makes a single version as a candidate. When this is not the wanted version for some operations the whole operation is compromised.

Case 2 apt & yum

This issue is when a package named A requires package BCD explicitly. The expected behavior for an operation asking to install A is obviously selected BCD to satisfy A's dependencies. On the other hand, . . . :

It succeeded in installing:

Understanding package management

Each of them has their own goals . . . Preferably with little or no . . .

There have been a lot of advancements.

Undersanding packages

Then it is packaged into a . . .

In Gentoo they use ebuilds (no hypen). All package managers take the source code and package it into a binary executables. These are outdated packages and the problem is resolved by installing or upgrading to a newer package.

Repositories

Omit in reference in which we are talking about. Reposities are web sites that contain packages. Every distribution has a repository and usually there is more than one.

Thank you. I have fixed that. Admittedly, the Repositories chapter needs a lot more.

I have almost finished with the Setup Commands. I am currently working on the Flag chapter, which is the last bit of the Setup Commands. Then I will begin working on Action Commands.

• 3 weeks later...
I've gone through your Smart doc rewrite and failed to see any info on importing public keys. Will this be covered (I assume the rewrite is not yet complete) in due course?

Yes, that will be covered. That's part of smart config. Here is the old howto I did on smart config. http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=smartconfig

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished up to the install command with its options. To check out the book, download it here http://downloads.thecompletecomputerresour...t/smartbook.odm

Edited by linux_learner