Suspend problem with 9.1

I would imagine so. I'm at work right now and don't have my laptop with me so I can't check right now. I will give that a look and see. I do remember, though, that APM wasn't listed when I went into DrakXServices, so maybe it wasn't being used.

Oh well, no big deal. I will get it working satisfactorily eventually. Thanks a lot for your help bvc.

did you get it fixed? If you use apm, one way to suspend is manually by the command

$ apm -s

you need to suid /usr/bin/apm to be able to do it as non-root. you can do this from a terminal window so no need to logout of X. it makes arts crash, though, so you need to restart it:

$artsshell terminate

$kcminit arts

X might crash as well after resume depending on the settings in /etc/sysconfig/suspend where you can fix some of the settings of what happens when you suspend.

I managed to turn acpi and acpid off and get apm turned on. Everything seems to be working great. My battery meter on the system tray and in gkrellm work now, instead of constantly showing as empty.

Is there a way to automate the suspend feature when I close the lid? I seem to remember that this happened automatically in 9.0. Is there some file I can edit to enable this feature again? Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

this might be entirely useless but there is a kernel module for Dell laptop support which is, I think, compiled as a module by default. Maybe something can be done with it. This is what it says in the help for the kernel config:

CONFIG_I8K:

This adds a driver to safely access the System Management Mode

of the CPU on the Dell Inspiron and Latitude laptops. The System

Management Mode is used to read cpu temperature, cooling fan

status and Fn-keys status on Dell laptops. It can also be used

to switch the fans on and off.

The driver has been developed and tested on an Inspiron 8000

but it should work on any Dell Inspiron or Latitude laptop.

You can force loading on unsupported models by passing the

parameter `force=1' to the module. Use at your own risk.

This driver is also available as a module ( = code which can be

inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).

If you want to compile it as a module, say M here and read

Documentation/modules.txt. The module will be called

i8k.o

For more information on this driver and for utilities that make

use of the module see the I8K Linux Utilities web site at:

<http://www.debian.org/~dz/i8k/>.

cheers

Ok, this is for a toshiba laptop and not for dell laptops so it is a bit off-topic. Anyway, I have a Toshiba satelite 1805 and it can also suspend just by closing the lid. I could never get it to work with linux though and I never bothered figuring out how it might be accomplished - the manual method was good enough - but LiquidZoo's quest inspired me to do some googling. Turns out that a few Bios settings need to be changed (press ESC when the machine starts up). I think the same goes for all 1700. 1800, 1900 series laptops as they seem to be variations on the same theme; possibly other models as well:

change the option for Power On to 'resume'

change Power on method to 'panel'

This is it. Now I can suspend my laptop just by closing the lid

:P. X does not crash (so far) and since I don't use arts, I have no other problems either.

cheers

just for reference, I am using a Latitude CPiA PII 366, and I have gotten the suspend to work by disabling APCI, and using APM. I configured the Kernel using the KControl/System/Kernel applet, and setting the power control section in PowerControl/laptop battery to powered -suspend. In the MCC/Boot section, APCI is still checked, but doesnt matter since I took out the APCI modules in the kernel--my guess anyway.

It seems to work great, with no hangs on resume. Works by either shutting the lid or waiting the required time I set up in Kcontrol

If anyone needs to see the system specifics, give me the commands and I'll post the output.

One question though -- how do I force a suspend by using a keyboard key combination? Cant seem to find this anywhere....

Robert