SB Extigy configuration under ALSA

william

Yeah! that's the poing, I did it in the past, but my BIOS doen't give me the option to enable/disable this sort of stuff, I will check compaq's site in order to see what's going on.

When I press del and enter in BIOS the only possibilityis to setup booting device order (if I'm not wrong)... But I will check it again....

Just wondering, not to be offensive and please don't take it that way. What's wrong with the internal sound card on your laptop? You're more than likely right in that it won't let you disable it in bios. Laptops are notorious for keeping control away from the user in the bios setup.

When we had you do the lsmod | grep snd, that's telling us what modules (or drivers) are loaded for the card. "snd" refers to alsa sound drivers; any module with a "snd" in the name is an alsa driver. These are the modules you asked linux to load by adding those lines to "modules.conf" From what I can see here, those drivers, specifically snd-usb-audio are installed and running on the computer. I see no snd-ess19**, which tells me that you're not loading any drivers for onboard card, which is OK, since you don't want to use it. The only scenario i can think of here, and I could be wrong, (wouldn't be the first time and definitely won't be the last :wink: ) is that maybe your system is trying to use the extigy module (i.e. snd-usb-audio) to run your internal card. Which definitely won't work. This is why we're asking you if you can disable onboard sound from the bios, which apparently isn't an option. My suggestion: Go ahead and open your modules.conf file. Change the references to "snd-usb-audio" to "snd-es1968" and test your onboard sound (after either a reboot or using modprobe etc.) There is no specific driver for ess-1988 sound card but the 1968 one should work. Once you get it working, keep the extigy around, and when either one of us comes accross one, or someone else has one that has gotten it working and can show us how, we'll post it and you can work from there.

I've found that if you get frustruated, sometimes it's best to put it down and be unstressed for awhile. Eventually the solution comes along. Like me with my usb midi hub for example. I've had it for a couple of years and hadn't been able to get it to work in linux until just recently.

Anyway, I hope this helps somewhat. Again, don't be offended or think i'm being pretentious, I'm just trying to give some friendly advice. I promise the solution will reveal itself eventually.

Todd

zero0w and Todd:

You can imagine what is going on here. I'm just in front of my laptop (as root) and xmms is playing Syncronicity MP3 song while I'm typing this words. Yeah, we succeeded together !!!!!! I've tried to have the cd loaded and xmms has just recognized my counting crows cd!!!! It's something unbelievable!!!!! The extigy is working properly well!!! :D

After insisting and following your recommendations (downloading the cdparanoia plugin and configuring cd audio player / applying that tweak of unplugging the Extigy before booting and plugging it with MDK loaded) everything here worked like a charm. :roll:

The KMix shows as avaiable mixers "USB Audio Class Driver"?!?!?!? with only 2 sliders Volume and Pcm?!?!? :?:

I will make some experiences changing user and checking harddrake, other xmms installed plugins and Kmix configurations, to understand what exactly happens.

Todd. No problem with you words!! I understand what you mean. Sometimes when things don't work as we expect, we should better to relax and give time to the time...I didn't consider offensive your commnents. Thanks again for your precious help and advices (I was almost giving up). :lol:

zero0x. No words to express my gratitude for your help. :wink:

As I told you before, sometimes I start thinking and concluding that the problem was between "the new user and my laptop" and still is, but I will study and learn linux....more and more. :oops:

You can imagine how I'm feeling now, all external devices working on a laptop with linux MDK 9.1, despite a bunch of sites warning you to think twice before doing that. Isn't something special? A success case?? Without all of your help it wouldn't have happened!!!!

Unfortunately I still have to download mp3 files with Kazaa software under windoze OS. Any suggestion of a linux software to do this job???

Finally, I think we can consider this thread closed!!!!

Thank you all!!!

Glad to hear you got it working! Now we'll send all new extigy users your way! :wink: It's a great feeling once you get something working. It's also great to hear success stories. Now you can chalk it down to experience. It's how we all learn. Linux is a never-ending learning process. But to me, that's half the lure. Good luck.

Todd

gtk gnutella and Qtella are both file sharing aps. But consider using pan and hit the newsgroups. alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.*** (***= at least 50 different groups covering different genres and types groups). Don't know if you connect broadband, which is best, but your isp should have a news server (nntp) Find out what it is, fire up pan and set it up. You find unbelievable amounts of music on the newsgroups and most of the time in complete albums. just type mp3 in the "find" dialog. Good Luck

Todd

Ok todd.

Connecting with broadband and with qtella alredy installed and downloading mp3's files.

To my opinion... Qtella has a better interface than gtk gnutella, despite some bugs.

Thanks.

william

Great. As I have always thought, things should work on Linux as much as they can on Windows. It's probably harder to setup than Windows, but usually it's not impossible. You just have to figure things out anyhow.

btw, I don't agree leeching unowned MP3 music :!: on any kind of P2P network, but it is obviously for another topic (if you want to discuss it please start a new thread in off-topic forum). Anyhow.

-zero0w

EDIT: Ok, since I believe this whole SB Extigy discussions should belong to one isolated topic on its own, I have asked the mod to move all Extigy related discussions to a new topic under the thread title 'SB Extigy configuration under ALSA', which I hope will serve SB Extigy users better and easier to find it (not to be wrapped under a SB Live related discussion, which would be unclear).