SB Extigy configuration under ALSA

william

Hello to everybody:

I'm comming from the hardware forum, where I've started a post asking for some help with external devices: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5124

As you can see, I'm just a linux newbie who is trying to become a ex windows user and facing a bunch of problems with Linux (what i consider to be normal) concerning my external usb Creative SB Extigy.

Indeed at this time I don't have the very deep knowledge as I could notice you really do, but could it be possible to count with your help to give me a clear explanation of what are the possibilities of having this sound card working properly? What is going on with my computer? Why does it freeze whenever I plug the SB Extigy in it (during booting time or with the system already loaded).

Do I have to know basic compiling issues to have this device working with Linux?

I have MDK 9.1 installed on my Laptop Compaq Presario 1700, everything was already recognized by the system: ethernet card, internal sound card, Usb Zip Drive Iomega, Usb Mouse and scanner, but this f****** card :oops: completely freezes my computer.

Could you help me? I've seen zero0w's "cake recipe" to compile source files to make SB working properly. That's what I need but, are these steps applicable to my situation? Again, why the computer freezes?:cry:

Thanks for any input.

William

Well, Sound Blaster Extigy is a very different beast from SB Live! or Audigy altogether. Nevertheless, you can follow the compilation procedure on the Soundblaster Extigy info page from the ALSA official site.

Also, SB Extigy is using the module name as 'snd-usb-audio', not 'emu10k1'.

According to the Soundblaster feature comparison chart here, SB Extigy does _not_ support soundfont (*.sf2 format file) at all. In this case this mini-how-to is not applicable for getting MIDI playback on your system. You will have to resort to software synthesizer approach such as TiMidity or FluidSynth.

Hope this clears things up.

I've downloaded the 5 packages from alsa, driver, lib, OSS, tools and utils.

During the installation I got the following error message:

[root@wgodois alsadriver-0.9.3]#./config [enter]

checking for CGC ...... No

checking for CC ........ No

checking for CC ........ No

checking for CL ........ No

Configure:error:no acceptable cc found in $path.

What is going on?

I think you did not install the 'Development' category of packages (including gcc compilers and among a few others), which are needed to compile software for Mandrake Linux.

Normally I do a full install with every categories (including Development) selected. It took some 1.8+ GB harddrive space to do that for Mandrake 9.1. Well, either you can manually install those packages needed, or do a full re-install and selecting 'Development' category as required. You can ask others about the details if you choose to manually adding development type of software/packages, but I will prefer a full re-install since, well, it probably took less time than to figure stuff out, what's needed or not...

After installing almost the all development packages, that's the result after ./configure comand, trying to install the alsa driver package.

[root@wgodois alsa-driver-0.9.3]# ./configure

checking for gcc... gcc

checking for C compiler default output... a.out

checking whether the C compiler works... yes

checking whether we are cross compiling... no

checking for executable suffix...

checking for object suffix... o

checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes

checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

checking for ranlib... ranlib

checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E

checking for ANSI C header files... yes

checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed

checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes

checking for inline... inline

checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes

checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no

checking for current directory... /usr/src/alsa/downloads/alsa-driver-0.9.3

checking cross compile...

checking for directory with kernel source... /usr/src/linux

checking for kernel version... The file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h d

oes not exist.

Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution

or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel

sources (default is /usr/src/linux).

What do I have to do? Sorry for being boring zer0w but you are my last hope.:cry:

thanks.

Don't know if this will shed any light, but my midisport1x1 usb midi hub also uses the snd-usb-audio driver. I found that if i leave it plugged in on a reboot, since USB is scanned first, alsa will load the driver for the hub, then when boot does the alsctrl reset (for my soundcard) it flashes the message "alsa is already running" and doesn't load the driver for my soundcard. The solution (for now): either unplug the usb midi hub before i reboot or first thing, log in as root and do a "service alsa restart". I assume the extigy (not familiar with it) is a usb interface of some sort. Do you have a sound card on board the machine as well? Also, alsa loads a midi device for my midisport as soon as i plug it in (hot plugging is enabled) I have it connected through midi to my yamaha mu10 tone generator. Works like a champ. In fact it seems to transfer the xg sysex through to the mu10 better than the mpu401 (joystick port) interface on my sblive. ex. bending notes and sounds with effects like chorus or reverb.

On another note, I wonder if i would solve my problem if i place the alsa lines BEFORE the usb lines in modules.conf (not sure if it matters but I'll try it) I think if alsa drivers were loaded first, THEN my system scanned for USB, it would hotplug the snd-usb-audio drivers as well. Things that make you say: "hmmmmm"

To install kernel source, in console, type the following command:

su

urpmi kernel-source

Then insert Disc 3 into your CD-Rom drive and the installation will proceed.

toaderxxix: you have a point. Modifying modules.conf might just work in william's situation. Since ALSA 0.9rc8 (which comes with Mdk 9.1) should handle 'snd-usb-audio' as well too. Detecting USB first and then detecting & setting up ALSA modules later could be a better path. However, I don't have experience of installing two soundcards on the same system running ALSA, so.... :wink:

If you are successful modifying 'modules.conf', could you post the content of that file here? That might help william I believe.

btw, I wonder, did you install usbmidi? I wonder how many MIDI devices are using USB ports nowadays.

toaderxxix: yeah. I have a soundcard on board the laptop. It's a ES1988 Allegro-1.

Well people, finally I succeeded in installing 3 packages of alsa (alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils), according to the recommendation of alsa quick-intall steps.Thanks zero0w for the hints to install development packages.

It would be very simple if the procedures to have everything here working well were only alsa packages installations!!!:evil: After a step by step installation procedure, the Extigy SB is already plugged in the computer and thanks GOD It hasn´t frozen the computer as before. :lol:

After the installation I inserted the modules into the kernel space typing "modprobe snd-usb-audio;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss and restarted the computer. I've checked if the the sound card was detected running "sndconfig" and I was able to listen to the Torvalds sound sample through the speakes attached to my SB Extigy as everything was working properly. I've checked if the aumix and mixer volume was properly adjusted and tried to listen to a CD, using Kscd. Unfortunately, I was only able to hear a very low volume sound comming from the internal computer's speakers.

I've been in the MDK control center to check the sound hardware configuration and here is the information out there:

Vendor: ESS Technology

Alternative drivers: snd-maestro

Bus-PCI

Description: ES 1988 Allegro-1

Module: maestro3

sndconfig detected the following :

A PCI sound card was found in your system. The details are:

Model: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 and as I've stated, it was possible to listen to Tovalds's voice.

lsmod says:

[root@wgodois root]# lsmod

Module Size Used by Not tainted

maestro3 28528 0 (unused)

ac97_codec 12488 0 [maestro3]

sg 34636 0 (autoclean)

nfsd 74256 0 (autoclean)

ds 8456 1

yenta_socket 13056 1

pcmcia_core 57184 0 [ds yenta_socket]

af_packet 14952 0 (autoclean)

floppy 55132 0

tulip 44032 1 (autoclean)

nls_iso8859-1 3516 1 (autoclean)

ntfs 76812 1 (autoclean)

supermount 15296 3 (autoclean)

sr_mod 16920 2

ide-cd 33856 0

cdrom 31648 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]

ide-scsi 11280 1

sd_mod 13100 0

audio 44216 0 (unused)

scsimon 9280 0 (unused)

exaudio 36716 0 (unused)

snd-pcm-oss 42308 0

usb-storage 72952 0

snd-mixer-oss 14296 0 [snd-pcm-oss]

scsi_mod 103284 6 [sg sr_mod ide-scsi sd_mod scsimon usb-storage]

snd-usb-audio 47360 4

snd-pcm 78240 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-usb-audio]

snd-timer 18152 0 [snd-pcm]

usbmouse 2936 0 (unused)

snd-page-alloc 7884 0 [snd-pcm]

keybdev 2720 0 (unused)

mousedev 5268 1

snd-rawmidi 17440 0 [snd-usb-audio]

snd-seq-device 5740 0 [snd-rawmidi]

snd 41060 4 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-usb-audio snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]

hid 20900 0 (unused)

soundcore 6276 0 [maestro3 audio exaudio snd]

input 5664 0 [usbmouse keybdev mousedev hid]

usb-uhci 24652 0 (unused)

usbcore 72992 1 [audio exaudio usb-storage snd-usb-audio usbmouse hid usb-uhci]

rtc 8060 0 (autoclean)

ext3 59916 2

jbd 38972 2 [ext3]

[root@wgodois root]#

People, I'm sorry for being so repetitive, but I'm very anxious to have my external devices working well here, I have more than 2 Gb of MP3 and It's very important to me to adjust my computer with all the its facilities as it was working with Window installed.

Thanks again.

william

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

can't start sound i/o

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

that's what I got during KDE initialization....

I tried changing the modules.conf file like a mentioned a few posts posts (and days) back. Sorry i didn't get back sooner. Anyway, it doesn't make a difference. That file is parsed so I'm not sure how I can change the order that hardware devices load. Any suggestions?

What I do is unplug the midisport and plug it back in after a boot. either that or i have to unplug it and do a "service alsa restart" as root. then I plug it back in. The way the midisport works: Uses usb-midi driver (http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Breeze/softwares/unix/usbmidi-e.html) along with hotplug and fxload. /etc/hotplug/usb has a script called "ezusbmidi" that calls fxload to load the rom to my hub (which is different than the windows ROM) then alsa loads a driver for it (snd-usb-audio). Anyway, you if the extigy is "hot plugable" then you might consider trying this. boot the machine with the extigy unplugged. login, switch user to root, do an "lsmod | grep snd" note what you find. Then plug in the extigy device, give a second and do an "lsmod | grep snd" again and see if it changes. Since it's a usb device on a laptop, I imagine it won't be that big a deal to plug it in after you boot. Grasping at straws i know.

Anyway, again sorry I didn't respond right away. I'm running a computer shop now, and I'm finally starting to get regular business. Worked on an old compaq presario 1200 today. Keyboard didn't work right, turns out it's cable wasnt seated properly. Don't know how it could come loose by itself and the lady says it's never been opened up. Oh well. I'm in a mostly rural area right now, so have to deal with the old windoze alot. SIGH. But when I start generating enough revenue to build some new machines, I'll be loading mandrake dl edition on them and sell them cheaper for incentive. I will encourage them to join the Mandrake Club. Wish me luck, I need it.

ToadeR

Two things:

1) I think KsCD use your CD analog audio playback instead of digital playback, so you can't really hear any CD audio because your CD-Rom drive analog output obviously isn't connected to the external SB Extigy device. Not sure if Grip or XMMS CD-player plugin uses digital playback though.

2) Seems that it all comes down to modifying 'modules.conf' now that you have installed the ALSA driver and have it running. Ok, here is my modules.conf:

su

cat /etc/modules.conf

probeall scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx ide-scsi

alias eth0 8139too

above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia

I think toaderxxix is right that the modules.conf is being parsed during boot time independent of the order of modules written in that file; it seems that the order of loading module was set internally by the system. In my case, I find that 'usb-uhci' modules was being loaded before the ALSA sound driver. In any case maybe you guys can post your modules.conf and see if we can figure out something here. :wink:

Here's mine. Made no difference either way but I included both versions. before tweak and after tweak. It's back on the first one now. Note that mine is very similar to zero0w.

Will check in later. Have to go to court. I resolve to put the old right foot on a diet.----Toader

before change

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

alias eth0 3c59x

alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

after change

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

alias eth0 3c59x

alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

People:

Despite of not being much conscious of what exactly the meaning and purpose of the comands like "lsmod | grep snd" and "cat /etc/modules.conf is, I've followed step by step, in the same order, what was suggested by you.

As a root I did:

I ) After booting with the extigy unplugged.

[root@wgodois root]# lsmod | grep snd

1   snd-seq-oss            29152   0  (unused)

2   snd-seq-midi-event      5544   0  [snd-seq-oss]

3   snd-seq                42160   2  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]

4   snd-pcm-oss            42308   0  (unused)

5   snd-mixer-oss          14296   0  [snd-pcm-oss]

6   snd-usb-audio          47360   0  (unused)

7   snd-pcm                78240   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-usb-audio]

8   snd-timer              18152   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]

9   snd-page-alloc          7884   0  [snd-pcm]

10  snd-rawmidi            17440   0  [snd-usb-audio]

11  snd-seq-device          5740   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]

12  snd                    41060   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-usb-audio snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]

13  soundcore               6276   0  [snd]

14  usbcore                72992   1  [snd-usb-audio usb-storage usbmouse hid usb-uhci]

II ) As soon as I plugged extigy in the computer.

[root@wgodois root]# lsmod | grep snd

1   snd-seq-oss            29152   0  (unused)

2   snd-seq-midi-event      5544   0  [snd-seq-oss]

3   snd-seq                42160   2  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]

4   snd-pcm-oss            42308   0  (unused)

5   snd-mixer-oss          14296   0  [snd-pcm-oss]

6   snd-usb-audio          47360   0  (unused)

7   snd-pcm                78240   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-usb-audio]

8   snd-timer              18152   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]

9   snd-page-alloc          7884   0  [snd-pcm]

10  snd-rawmidi            17440   0  [snd-usb-audio]

11  snd-seq-device          5740   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]

12  snd                    41060   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-usb-audio snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]

13  soundcore               6276   0  [audio exaudio snd]

14  usbcore                72992   1  [audio exaudio snd-usb-audio usb-storage usbmouse hid usb-uhci]

III ) Modifying modules.conf (after booting with extigy unplugged and plugging it as soon as the system was loaded)

[root@wgodois root]# cat /etc/modules.conf

1  probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage ide-scsi

2  alias eth0 tulip

3  probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

4  above snd-usb-audio snd-pcm-oss

5  alias sound-slot-0 snd-usb-audio

IV ) Trying to run xmms:

[root@wgodois root]# xmms /mnt/cdrom

1  failed: audio.c:295 (alsa_get_volume)[root@wgodois root]# xmms /mnt/cdrom

2  failed: audio.c:295 (alsa_get_volume)[root@wgodois root]#

Still very hard to understand the meaning of all these lines....:oops:

In the aumix I've adjusted the volume and in the Kmix I was not able to do it, cause there weren't any sliders, it was completely empty, no options in Kmix window.

The xmms has a bunch of configuration in the preferences tab and I've tried to adjust it according to what was recommended in another post, but with no success, I've decided to run xmms/mnt/cdrom comand that worked well and recognized the cd, but unfortunately I haven't gotten any sound.

toaderxxix , good luck at your new businees. Great initiative to incentivate people to know linux, if I had been introduced to linux before, nowadays, probably I would be in a better situation.

Wouldn't I.

and zero0w, thanks for your patience.

All the best....

1 probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage ide-scsi

2 alias eth0 tulip

3 probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

4 above snd-usb-audio snd-pcm-oss

5 alias sound-slot-0 snd-usb-audio

Ok, let's clear things up first:

1) Did you disable the internal sound card inside your laptop? If not, does any sound coming from that?

2) For Kmix, have you tried: File > New Mixer Tab? See if the system can detect and generate a new mixer tab setting.

3) To have digital CD playback in XMMS, I guess today is your lucky day :D :

> Download XMMS digital CD playback input plugin here

cdparanoia-plugin-0.1-3mdk.i586.rpm

(If this download link does not work, search google for the same filename, something similiar should come up)

> Install this rpm, then run XMMS, go to Options > Preferences

> In the input Plugin section:

- Configure CD Audio Player 1.2.7: Disable it by removing the path in Device & Directory; leave them blank.

- Then Configure CDDA Paranoia: modify the Directory to /mnt/cdrom, you may want to use Force Drive Speed if you find the CD playback quality to be jerky and skipping later.

> In the output Plugin section:

Make sure OSS driver 1.2.7 is used, I have tried ALSA Output plugin but it doesn't play nice with CDDA Paranoia :P .

If all things go well, you should be able to hear music from your audio CD in XMMS using this digital playback plugin. However, considering it's a 0.1 version, you should regard this pretty much in beta quality.

Good luck :) .