Samba as PDC

Trgy

I would like to configure my samba server as primary domain controller. Searching internet didn’t t get much of results. There are some instructions about that but they are all incomplete or they assume some previous knowledge about that which I don’t have :(. So did anyone try to do that, and can someone please explain how it’s done, or maybe some useful link to tutorial. Thanks.

The part I don’t understand in all that tutorials is about creating user an computer accounts

This is probably the best documentation you can use when implementing stuff:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Implement_Samba_as_your_PDC

whilst it's for Gentoo mostly, the config of files will be the same. Therefore, to make it a PDC:

local master = yes
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes

will do the trick. You need those four options for it to happen.

This is probably stupid but I don’t understand much of the following

domain logons dictates whether the Samba server will serve Windows Domain logons for the workgroup it is in. logon script specifies the batch file (.bat) or NT command file (.cmd) to be downloaded and run on a machine when a user successfully logs in. logon path specifies the home directory where roaming profiles (NTuser.dat etc files for Windows NT) are stored. logon drive specifies the local path to which the home directory will be connected and is only used by NT Workstations. logon home specifies the home directory location when a Win95/98 or NT Workstation logs into a Samba PDC. Please note that variables %L and %U must be used. They defined the server name and username (respectively). You may specify any drive letter as long as it does not conflict with other drives on your Win2k client.

domain logons = yes

logon script = login.bat OR %U.bat > do I have to create that script my self?

logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U > what does %L and %U means exactly and on which drive in this example the profiles folder is created

logon drive = H: > I only have one drive on my ubuntu machine its called filesystem and does not have any drive letters assign to it

logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile >again by this example where is home directory located ?

Anyone knows anything about that?

Sorry if I m being stupid :D

You don't need to use a login script. I haven't done much domain controller stuff with samba, but you need to understand that:

Logon path is where the profiles of each user would be stored on the server. It means when you roam from one machine to another, you would keep your desktop settings, wallpaper, etc. Not really necessary.

Logon drive is where you'd have a drive mapped for your own personal user directory /home/username would be where it would go. Again, not necessary unless you want to map drives from Windows into your Linux system and home directory, or shared directories. The drive letter is relevant to Windows, not to Linux.

If you want to use a full Windows setup you need to know how a Windows server acts, and all this profile stuff and logon scripts. When you login to a normal Windows domain controller, you can have drives mapped, scripts to run to do things automatically for you, and download your profile settings to the computer locally if you move about from one computer a lot. None of them are required, so can be left out.

What I think you're wanting to do is have a server where logins are stored locally on one machine - the PDC so that people can login to it and access the resource on it. But explain what you're trying to do if this is not the case.

Yes that s exactly what em I trying to do. I don’t need roaming profiles. I want to setup domain on my network because when I connect from home through VPN I can’t browse computers on my network. So I guess if I put them in a domain that should solve the problem. I know what logon path means but just don’t understand those %L %U. If I want for example users profiles to be kept in \\home\profiles folder should I just wrote

Logon path = \\home\profiles or

Logon path =\\home%L\\profiles\%U

Just in case i want to use roaming profiles later

Anyway that helped me a lot so thanks again.

Edited by Trgy

only one problem with swat is it does not save your previous config.

its always a good idea to make a backup of your config file before editing with swat.

Yes I have read that in some tutorial. well anyway pdc is working but I cant add any computers to a domain because I don’t know how to create samba administrator that can add computers to domain. By the way is this correct form for smbusers file??

<username> = <"administrator">

I did setup a password for that user earlier through terminal with smbpasswd