New Metacity theme I created (new format)

theYinYeti

Hello,

This week-end, I created a Metacity format-1 theme, and then yesterday evening I adapted it to format-2 (more buttons, transparency).

Here is the screenshot:

Aside from a Rox desktop, 2 Gnome panels and a background from gnome-look.org, this screenshot shows three windows, 2 of which are shaded (one focused and one unfocused) and one is normal but unfocused (Gimp). The mouse pointer is currently on the "minimize" button from the shaded focused window (Firefox).

As you can see:

- The titlebar is transparent,

- Small stones represent the buttons, and all buttons and the icon kind of "sit on" the window. Buttons get "lighted on" when focused.

- Only buttons and a ghost titlebar show when the window is unfocused.

- Colors (here brown and gray) depend only on the current Gtk colors.

Besides, The buttons overlap the window top and the title bar and borders are hidden when the window is maximized, thus leading to an almost maximum maximised size.

The theme should support "shade", "stick", and "above" buttons. However I enabled "shade" and "stick", and the shift between "stick"/"unstick", "shade"/"unshade" seems to be buggy, at least under Compiz.

Finally, I cannot be sure it is exactly as I intended, because Compiz seems to treat all windows as normal windows (I didn't find any dialog, modal dialog... anywhere, and detached menus don't show decorations at all):

- All not-normal windows should have a border 1px-wide instead of 2px.

- Focused modal dialogs should have a red border instead of the "gtk selected background" border.

- The title (written smaller) should act as a window menu in place of the mini-icon for not-normal windows.

Now I wonder: do you think this theme could interest others? If so, where should I store/submit it?

Yves.

I guess you could put it on gnome-look.org in the metacity category there. Some people who created themes put them on deviantart from what I remember from one I downloaded ages ago.

Updated for better usability :)

I am quite sure I encountered 4 bugs, one in Metacity, three in Compiz. Do you know of them, are they actual bugs?

1 (Metacity): With standalone Metacity (no 3D), using my theme, each newly drawn window's titlebar is colored the default gray, except where the title is, where it is correctly colored after the gtk theme. However, I just need to slightly resize the window, or shade/unshade it, for the titlebar to become thereafter as it should be: entirely colored after the gtk theme, with no gray, and it stays correct until it is closed.

2 (Compiz): Extra Metacity buttons don't work properly (I haven't tried the "above" button yet):

- shade: It works when clicked, but it remains the "shade" button, instead of becoming the "unshade" one.

- stick: It works when clicked, but it then disapears and is not replaced by the "unstick" button.

3 (Compiz): My current setup tells the focus to follow the mouse; this usually works. But whenever the mouse goes over a shaded window, focus is locked to this shaded window: moving the mouse over any other window (and even clicking those windows) doesn't change the focus. However, opening a new window resets the focus to a correct behaviour... until the mouse goes again over a shaded window.

4 (Compiz): A metacity theme defines a style-set for each of the "normal", "dialog", "modal_dialog", "utility", "menu", and "border" kind of window. With Compiz enabled, the "normal" style-set is used for all kinds of windows, and the window decorations aren't even drawn for detached menus ("menu" kind, in Gimp for example).

For better understanding of why I think the 1st item is a bug, you have to know that my theme defines focused windows this way:

- Frame background is colored "gtk:bg[sELECTED]" with alpha "0.0" (invisible in compiz, plain metacity ignores alpha).

- Titlebar is not defined (not drawn).

- Title is written on top of a "gtk:bg[sELECTED]" background the same size as the title text.

What do you think?

Yves.

As this theme is very Gnome-centric, and one of the very few to show the new abilities in Metacity-theming (as far as I can see), I decided to submit it to art.gnome.org too. I'll see...

Yves.

I am quite sure I encountered 4 bugs, one in Metacity, three in Compiz. Do you know of them, are they actual bugs?

[…]

What do you think?

Since nobody seems to know anything about those bugs, I decided to report the Compiz ones, for a start:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15321

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15322

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15323

Yves.