Problem adding new software

Guest dsevee

Guest dsevee

Hi

I just installed Mandriva 2008 from a DVD distributed in the Linux Format magazine. The installation went fine. After installation I wanted to configure my printer -- again no problem. Go to "Configure your System" etc. But after starting the process of configuring my printer I was told I had to install CUPS. I was surprised that this wasn't loaded with the system but still not a big deal. I went to the interface where you can add software packages found the cups rpms and selected them. At this point I was asked to insert my dvd into /dev/sr0 ?, I assumed this would be the dvd player so I inserted the dvd but it was not recognized. The dvd is mounted as /mnt/LXFDVD102 but this location is not recognized by the install software program (even though the files are in the same location as the original install). The install software program has a modify media option where you can specify other locations but if I go to LXFDVD102 and choose the propersubdirectory where the Mandriva files are located thesefiles are grayed out and can't be selected.

In short, how do I get my Mandriva installation to find my Mandriva installation files on dvd? (By the way, this doesn't happen just with cups. It happens if I try to install any additional software from the Mandriva distro on the dvd.)

thanks

dsevee

Hi, and welcome to the board!

I know it's not a direct answer, but if you have Internet connection, I would suggest not to install anything from the DVD. Configure your URPMI (wait, don't panic! ;) ), then go to Mandriva Control Center (MCC), then go to the SW Management tab, and choose "Manage SW". Then look for CUPS in the text box.

Now, about URPMI: you can connect to repository of software packages, ready to be installed on your Mandriva machine. You can configure it from MCC ("Configure media sources for install and update") or by pasting commands to the terminal. Anyhow, I strongly recommend to read more here - a brief tutorial about what it is and what it is good for. Personally, I never needed to install anything that I couldn't find in the repos.

Good luck!

Guest dsevee

Hi,

The problem is that when I try to configure my internet connection I am again told that I need certain software so the same problem occurs. So I don't have an internet connection.

I know that I can always go to another computer and download them onto a flash and then intall them on my machine from flash. But I'd rather understand why the ability to upgrade doesn;t work properly on my machine.

Thanks

dsevee

I just installed Mandriva 2008 from a DVD distributed in the Linux Format magazine.

Some other members here are also having problems with that DVD. It appears to be in the quality and or condition of it. One member had glue and scratches on his, but was able to copy it to another DVD successfully.

Can you try to copy it to another DVD? If not, can you download the Free CDs or DVD from Mandriva or a mirror?

could possibly look on the dvd for where the hdlist.cz files are (I think there is three of them) And then add them localy like:

urpmi.addmedia local /mnt/LXFDVD102/subdirectory_with_hdlist.cz_here

Don't think you even need the hdlist.cz file at the end, just the directory...at least that is how I had the occasional local repository I'll create on my hard drive.

so I inserted the dvd but it was not recognized. The dvd is mounted as /mnt/LXFDVD102 but this location is not recognized by the install software program (even though the files are in the same location as the original install).

This also happend to me in my wife's box (she is using KDE btw)

What I did to fix this was to open MCC and in Software Managment>Comfigure SW I edited the 2 CDROM lines and changed it to say "cdrom://i586/media/main" (without quotes).

This happened to me 'cause I have a CD reader and a DVD combo in my box

But as someone else suggested before, these packages are too old so IMHO the best is to delete'em or to untickle them.

Cheers

Luis