Server-kernel vs desktop

I run 3 Compaq servers 1 ML350 and 2 ML370's, all have 64bit PCI-X cards / Ultra 320 scsi riad 5 stacks/ Sata2 8x raid stacks.

They each have 4GB ECC ram with twin processors/ twin head gigabyte Nics feeding into a gigabyte switch etc feeding my LAN/each other

I notice there is a Server-kernel, would this offer me any advantages over the desktop-kernel?

Does this support NIC bonding?

What are the differences?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

It should offer you the ability to use more ram, I think server kernels are configured up to 64GB, whereas the desktop I think is just 4GB. Might work slightly different if 64 bit distro too.

If you are currently using a 32bit desktop kernel, I doubt that you are using all 4GB of your RAM. You can check this with

free -m && cat /proc/meminfo |grep -i total

If you aren't using all 4GB, you will have to use a server kernel, as Ian has noted.

64G Enterprise kernels are targetted at systems with large ( 8GB or more) RAM and running specific applications which can take advantage.

In your case I would be content with 4- GB RAM initialized, as the Enterprise kernels have PAE enabled and that is reducing their performance.

The modern solution is, of course, going 64-bit (if your CPU is supported AND the rest of the hardware doesn't object heavily)... but you will judge if and when you will do that.