4 Computers, 5 IPs, 1 Server

Guest Jose

Guest Jose

Hi all,

Just recieved 5 ips from my new isp. Had been using dynamic ip with prior ISP. Here's the situation:

I want to use 4 IPs for my Server (2 for dns, 1 for webserver and 1 for email - all on linux box). But I have four other computers (childrens & wife), that need an ip to access the internet.

I happen to have the Linksys BEFSR41 four port Router, A Linksys 5 port switch, and the 4 port dsl modem which came with the install kit (Zytel).

Is it possible to use the Linksys 4 port router to share one IP among 4 computers? Remember, my ISP is providing 5 IPs with no NAT. I am not sure that the Linksys router provides NAT in and of itself. (I called Linksys and two tech gave me two opposite answers - Yes and No.

From the DSL modem I can connect directly server. So no problem there.

I want to use 4 IPs for my Server (2 for dns, 1 for webserver and 1 for email - all on linux box).

Perhaps I'm just stupid :wink: , but why do you need 4 IP addresses for 1 server? Are you using 4 network cards? On my machine, using one Dynamic IP (using dyndns), I have ftp, ssh, webmin, all using one IP. I don't see why you would need different IP's for different services.

--Andrew

I think the idea is that he's going to run a main server and then have other virtual servers, as in: www.mydomain.com box2.mydomain.com, etc. however, i'm not sure having 4 IPs is necessary. but i could be extremely wrong, so I'll stop there :)

Guest Jose

I figured it out. I used NIC aliases, (Redhat). In other words virtual interfaces. I am using 4 ips cause I have them. I went from dynamic ips to an isp (covad) which let me have either Nat or 5 ips. I chose the 5 ips.

I needed two for the dns, the rest are extra, so I am going to impletment my server with different ips for different services. ftp will share with dns.

When I build another computer, I will separate the dns between two computers. Self hosting. Just trying it out. I love all the disk space I will have for pictures. And I can now host more than two sites. It's a lot to learn, but that is the fun of it. Thanks for your suggestions. This is a great board/forum.