Konqueror smb automatic authentication

Guest teamanx

Guest teamanx

Hi. I know that Konqueror can use the credentials of the currently logged in user, to connect to samba shares, so it doesn't prompt for username and password. I have made it work on a couple of computers, but I don't know how I did it.

Anybody knows how to do it, or what are the requirements (auth method, pam config, etc)?

Thanks!

Guest teamanx

Thanks, Jim

I mean that Konqueror doesn't even need you to enter username and password, nor storing it. It just picks the credentials of the current user, just as Windows does when you have joined a domain.

I know it works if you set up "Active Directory with Winbind" in drakauth, which uses kerberos and LDAP. But I would like to know if it can be done authenticating against a SAMBA/LDAP server. I did it in the past, just by chance, and don't know how to reproduce it. I think the LDAP server was also a kerberos server, but I would like that someone with experience confirmed it.

Edited by teamanx

Perhaps you need to add your user to smbpasswd. IIRC the command is:

smbpasswd -a

This assumes that you use the same username on your windows boxes.

Jim

edit: Sorry, I've just realized that is for the samba server, not the client. For the client use kcontrol/Internet & Network/Local Network Browsing/Windows Shares.

Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest teamanx

I have figured it out. The smb:// kioslave uses libsmbclient, which has the ability of using the credentials of a currently authenticated kerberos user.

So if you have authenticated your session through kerberos, you will be able to browse samba shares with your username, without having to type it nor your password anywhere.

So let's wait until SAMBA 4 gives us an easy way to configure a Kerberos+LDAP+Samba server.

Edited by teamanx