USB2.0 - Mdk 9.1

Gowator

Has anyone got USB2.0 working reliably in 9.1?

Everything locks up completely, that is I can't even ping the machine.

I'm connecting a Archos MM which is a USB mass storage device and it works fine under USB1.1.

This is using a shuttle ....

On my other machine I got a Belkin usb2.0 card. (Its also got a AHA2940 UW scsi controller which might interfere). The mobo has built in usb1.1 which I initially disabled but its doing the same thing and just locking up. Once it does it Its power button time.

Any suggestions....

Sorry, no kisses on this board after the percentage of females:males...

By switching connectors do you mean unplugging the USB header connectors and routing the "USB 2.0 through?

If thats what you meant then no.... I was just doing my support staff stoop, you know the one that means all your trousers have worn knees and your shoes get creases in from climbing under desks!

I was connecting (on the BIG Box) directly to the USB2.0 card on the back.

On the shuttle I was connecting directly to the 1.1/2.0 ports which go onto the header.

Or do you mean just try swapping a couple over to make sure there are no conflicts.. Interestingly it seems to be some serial problem on the Shuttle. That is I originally had an infrared key/mouse pad (its meant to be an entertainment centre) but it inexplicably locked up and refused to boot even into bios ..

After removing EVERYTHING down to mem/processor (which meant more heat-transfer compound) I finally had a brainwave about the serial stuff. The mouse on the Infrared pad goes trough a serial interface... switched it round for ps/2 ones and ho it worked...

I must RTFM more on the mobo manual but its in French and tiring to read... actually its probably in the same sort of French as you get in English for a Taiwanese Mobo.

Slightly off topic .. Doesn't it strike you as odd they can design some sh**hot mobo's but the manual reads like a badly dubbed movie?

Guest fubar::chi

had the same prob with an asus usb 2.0 board and a new hp usb 2.0 printer. unfortunately my solution was to install xp since it had been a couple of months and i didn't want granmumsy to wait any longer to get a working printer. If you figure out what the trouble is write back and tell us all.

I have a Belkin USB 2.0 card. And for me, USB 2.0 would not work reliably (although in my case, it doesn't work in either Windows or Linux). What I had to do in Linux was disable the ehci-hcd module, which was, in my case, the module for USB 2.0 specific instructions. You can, as root, type "rmmod ehci-hcd" to remove it, and in your modules.conf file, in the line that says:

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci usb-ohci ehci-hcd

It might not say that exactly, but you should have multiple USB devices listed in that line. I had to disable ehci-hcd to get my USB devices working reliably again. This, of course, is the module that specifically allows 2.0 compatibility, so removing it brings you back to USB 1.1, but to be honest, I couldn't really tell any difference in speed. However, removing the module will most likely give you a stable computer again.

My mb has usb2. (epox 8k9a). It works fine with my palm cradle. Does the hardware have to require usb2? Perhaps my cradle is still an older usb device.

Ixthusdan: Yep USB 2.0 is pretty much needed.

The device is a USB MM player with an internal 20GB disk. It's got backups/photos/MP# and it even plays DIVX (well if its simple AVI).

USB 2.0 is one primary reason I bought it.

Ive actually already rmmod'd the usb-uhci, (I have to do it all the time for vmware to remove the support for my bluetooth usb device.

I let in autodetect and when I need to use it just rmmod it before starting VMWARE and Win98. )

Like emh points out ... its the USB support thats faulty and I got rid of Windows from my homea long time ago.... (except the VMWARE for VERY specific things).

I can use it through USB 1.1 but its not really fully functional as it should be. Its not like a printer or synching a palm, were talking GB or data.

All in all its a cool device, you can attach a card reader and back up your whole 256MB compact flash/MM in minutes. Same for a palm etc.

The idea is to take it on holiday instead of a laptop and back up the camera/palm/phone (via palm) - watch movies onthe hotel TV (output provided SCART or Composite/NTSC or PAL). Take 5-10 GB of music with me and 5-10 GB of movies and ......

You can even rip your own movies direct from VHS/TV with a extra 50Euro connector or 100 euros for a camera/video which rips dirct to MPEG4. You can rip MP3 native, just from the microphone for voice notes or via the audio in....

Its like 500 euros ... extremely cool ...

http://www.archos.com

I just don't wanna resort to Windows to use it properly... If I had the money I'd get a MAC rather than do that!

See specs, my epson usb2 scanner is very fast and using usb2. No problems there.

My mouse is also on usb2, obviously just running as usb1.1. But no problems.

I have a colleague who has an Asus a7v8x (or so) with a philips jackrabbit 2 external usb2 cdburner, which also works fine in mdk9.1.

It's not of any use to you all(sorry for that), but I saw test that indicates that firewire is much better than usb2.0. You don't have that central controller needed used by usb....So, I suppose machines can talk more directley..I think(it has been sometime I read it) it was even double as fast as usb2.0

Theoretically firewire should be 400mb/sec.

Technically its definately better but its more a copper extension of FCAL.

Erm theoretically SCSI is better again, on a bang per buck$$$$$$$

That is a parallel technogoly will always be faster than a serial one at the same development cycle.

Problem is USB 2.0 is what it needs unless I buy a supported firewire controller, Its good in a way my laptop also has a 1394 built in but its never been used, chicken and egg. I dont want to buy a device and not get it working....

It took me long enough to scrub windows completely out of my personal life and I aint going back to get firewire support.