Win4Lin Version5 w/Direct X released

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I read something about games needing hard support for DirectX, i only knew that certain hardware (video cards to be exact, and i think audio too) supported DirectX

Did anyone tryed any game on a win4lin win9x terminal?

and i mean ANY game, at least Unreal Tournament or something that make use of DX7 or above, just to know if it works...

hopefully someone did...and will post...! :roll:

Win4Lin right now only supports *software* DirectX. So those games that need direct *hardware* support (where DirectX accesses the hardware directly rather than through the drivers) still don't work. I'm no gamer, so I can't help you out with just what works, and most games don't say which type of DirectX support they need. Last I heard Netraverse was gonna build up a list of what was known to work or not. I don't know if thy have yet. You might check their website and see what you can find.

DirectX support for hardware in Win4Lin is very difficult. Hey, DirectX sucks in native Windoze, so whadya expect? Basically, Win4Lin (and Linux) takes care of all hardware operation and makes Windoze only *think* it's doing the work with the Merge virtual drivers. Linux is much better at handling hardware than Windoze, which is mainly why Win9x is much more stable under Win4Lin than running normally (ie native Windoze). But you can see that since Windoze doesn't *actually* access hardware it would make DirectX hardware support a very complicated issue. But it can be done and they're working on it...

While I'm here, I just gotta put in another plug for Win4Lin support. Last night, I was upgrading from 5.0.0 to 5.0.2, which adds X cut/paste between Linux and Windoze apps running in Win4Lin - very nice. But the installer burped (my fault) so I left a message on the Win4Lin mailing list. I was hoping for an answer sometime Monday. Within 10 minutes I had a reply from one of the Netraverse people with what I did wrong and the fix. This was at 8pm on Friday night! Their support is UNREAL! Take a cue, Mandrake...