Help Loading Live cd

Guest foz21

Guest foz21

Hi, just downloaded The Live CD 2.008.1 KDE for my Compaq Presario F500.

On the first attempt the computer locked after setting the time when prompted. Second attempt all worked fine (think I may have changed choice to local time on the settings). Had a play around and all seemed pretty good but needed to download the firmware to support my wireless adaptor so booted back into Vista. Since then I haven't been able to boot linux back up. Always the same problem - Mandriva boots up from the CD then goes through the screens asking for language etc. Whenever I select the options for time and hit next, the system hangs - there's a black screen and mouse pointer (not responding). I've tried different settings but with no luck. What I don't understand is how it managed to load successfully once and then not again, especially as the Live CD should be pretty idiot proof (I hope).

I'd love to here any suggestions as I'd like to work more with this disto but this is infuritating me :-)

thanks

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Try booting the liveCD with some "acpi=off nopcmcia" argument. These two are the main reasons liveCD's fail to load properly at laptops.

On the other hand, it may just be unable to detect a good display resolution. Try passing the VGA resolution at startup, or when you have the screen with the unresponsive mouse cursor, press alt+ctrl+backspace.

Edited by scarecrow