digital camera owners-- how do you crop pics?

Peep

this seems like something that would be the gimp's bread and butter, but i'm having great difficulty cropping pictures to the aspect ratio they need to be to get prints made. it seems like there HAS to be some way to easily set what ratio you want a cropped picture to end up with. i can crop a part of the photo just fine in the gimp, but can't figure out how to chop off part of the top and bottom to get it to the size i need to make a 4x6 print.

any ideas/tips/etc? :) thanks.

Check imagemagick if you want

But my camera delivers images in the right resolution, so I need to do nothing other than resize.

But seriously, the best way is a simple perl script using image magic. List contents of directory, take each picture, consider zero the middle and crop 2" up and down from the center, 3" right and left.

Not really hard to do.

i guess i didn't want it to autocrop, i wanted to be able to pick which parts of the image to cut off (sometimes the top, sometimes the bottom, etc.)

ideally it'd let me crop one "dimension" at a time rather than have to draw a rectangle. not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me.

I don't know of anything that will do exactly what you want, but for cropping ImageMagick works fine. If you want a really Windows-style app try CompuPic, pretty nice little thubnail viewer/photo editor. Linux version is almost just like the Windows one. Fully functional free trial version available except that after 30 days it won't do .gif or .tif files unless you buy and register it. It'll do quite a bit of stuff. Here's a little info:

http://www.photodex.com/products/compupic/unix/

Get a trial version rpm here:

http://www.photodex.com/downloads/platforms/linux.html

Sometimes, when I need an even more complete app I use Corel PhotoPaint 9 for Linux, but it's tricky to install. There's the Gimp of course, if you can figure it out...I guess you have at least somewhat.

Lately my favorite thumbnail viewer/organizer is Danpei, which will also call up a either simple viewer, ImagMagick or the Gimp directly from within Danpei. Very cool little app. I use it everyday now. Check it out here:

http://danpei.sourceforge.net/

You'll have to install from a tarball or .src.rpm.

Probably more info than anyone wanted...oh well...

What your looking for doesn't seem possible with gimp 1.2, but I agree it is a neccessary feature.

I use photoshop's crop tool to perform this function and I can set it to resize the photo to, for example, 4x6 inches at 200 dpi and I can then move the cropping around to my liking before pressing the crop button to give me a perfect 4 x 6 crop without any distortion.

Hopefully this will be added soon. But in meantime, I found this handy guide to "grokking the gimp" while searching:

http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

There is an icon for cutting, scaling in gimp....it's the third icon down from the left-side-top.....tried that???? You can specify which part you wnat from the image....

if you mean scaling....click on teh image..choose from teh contect-menu 'image", then submenu scaling....nect to X-ratio you see an image...kind of a lock or something..when you click on it....ity will separate..this means that if you change the height of teh image, teh width won't change anymore with it....choose teh roght height, width..and that should be it...(kust tested it myself, but I tarnslate the menu-names from Dutch..).

hope this helps.(Gimp 1.4 is released I think...)

ahh, ok. i see how i can do what i want now. i had always been trying cannonfodder's method of drawing a box you want to crop. but selecting the crop button (as michel suggested) allows you to click outside the image and make a straight line across the image. you can then pick how much of the image to save from that line. i can't describe it very well so i'm not surprised nobody knows what the heck i'm talking about :oops: but this is the best way i've found to crop the top and bottom of a picture. thanks!

Here's what I was hoping for with the gimp. This is from photoshop's crop tool. Notice I can input a "fixed" target size. This way I can play with the cropping (while it retains its aspect ratio) till I get something acceptable and it will come out the perfect size, say 4x6 inches.

Pete14_Image01.gif

The gimp's crop tools, don't allow this, and you have to guess at the final aspect ratio (like 3x5 is same as 6x10). You will most likely end up with too much/too little at the tops and bottoms or much/too little at the left and right borders.

This is hard to explain and much better to show in person.

Here's what I was hoping for with the gimp. This is from photoshop's crop tool. Notice I can input a "fixed" target size. This way I can play with the cropping (while it retains its aspect ratio) till I get something acceptable and it will come out the perfect size, say 4x6 inches.

Pete14_Image01.gif

The gimp's crop tools, don't allow this, and you have to guess at the final aspect ratio (like 3x5 is same as 6x10). You will most likely end up with too much/too little at the tops and bottoms or much/too little at the left and right borders.

This is hard to explain and much better to show in person.

You can do this also in gimp I believe..you can specify in px, mm, inch,....for scaling and cutting...