Noob questions

Just John

New to linux, trying mandriva, and have a few noob questions for you.

1. When I press alt+F2 to bring up the run command it always goes behind whatever I've got running. How can I set it to come to the front?/

2. I'm used to using firefox and having the stuff I save go to the desktop, but with Mandriva when I go to look for my file it's no where to be seen. Now I can find it if I click Home and then desktop, but it doesn't show up on the actual desktop. How can I fix this?

3. Downloaded a KDE theme and installed (kollide, if it makes any difference) and it seems to install, but when I click apply nothing happens. What gives?

4. One time I tried applying the Mandriva skin and it said kwd crashed on me. I couldn't move my windows around, so I loaded kde-window-decorator from konsole. The decos come back, but as soon as I close the konsole they disappear again. How do I get them to stick around?

Edited by Just John

Do you run compiz or compiz-fusion?

And- how do you try to get back the KDE decorator? Try

kwin --replace

from console

And do have in mind that a buggy/badly designed theme can crash the window decorator anytime... If it is THAT theme, I'd say it does not look very trustful...

Edited by scarecrow

Well if you read the post you'll notice it was actually applying the mandriva default theme that seemed to crash the system, though I had already tried to apply the other one, so I guess it''s possible it created some error that the mandriva theme came along and tripped over.

Thanks for answering 4, hopefully it works.

1. That just keeps the window on top when you're switching stuff around. It still LOADS behind everything no matter what.

Still in the dark about 2, and any more info on 3 would be handy.

Thanks, but I'm 90 percent sure that 1 and 2 at least are the same, so I still need those answered.

Also, I find the 2008.1 release much more visibly appealing, and since I can't really seem to get any decent skins working I can hardly bring myself to use it when I have the spring release right at my fingertips.

If someone would like to show me a stable, well polished skin, something slick and preferably in black or blue I could go back to dot zero and see if any problems go away.