question re: mesa-utils/mesa-demos [solved]

Guest Seameat

Guest Seameat

Hello all,

I am new here and (relatively) new to Linux. I have been a Linux user off and on for a couple years, but nothing too serious.

Well, the other day I accidentally made my Windows drive un-bootable, but that's a story for another day. What it means is that I am on Linux now, and trying to regain functionalities that I had under Windows. First and foremost among these: World of Warcraft.

So I installed Mandriva 2008.0 Powerpack.

So I found my way to WoWWiki's Linux page and started through the walkthrough. However, I got hungup on the first step.

Here is my issue:

I know I need to install mesa-demos or mesa-utils or both. When I try to do that via "rpmdrake", it tries to get the information from the install cd. The problem there is that whenever it wants me to give it the install disc, it says to put the dvd in /cdrom2. But my dvd-rom drive is not /cdrom2, it is /cdrom. Is there a way to change where it looks for the disc?

If not, I know I can download and compile these things myself, but I have no idea how. I have found a couple tutorials online, but they were not very Linux-noob friendly. So, if the first solution is not possible, can someone link me to or provide me with a novice-friendly tutorial on how to download and compile these items?

Edited by Seameat

In answer to your question you need to startup Mandriva Control Centre (Do Alt & F2 and type mcc then click run). Click on Configure media sources for install and update, this is where you can change the drive settings.

A couple of links about compiling:

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/BasicsBsource

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/BasicsBsource2

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}