sdl and twilight (quake)

Guest joehill

hey y'all,

I installed DOlson's rpm for Twilight, but when I run it I get a segmentation fault:

Playing registered version.

Console initialized.

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

i tried installing the same rpm on my other Mandrake box, and it ran (slowly, it's an old Pentium 2).

So, I removed the SDL packages that came with Mandrake and installed the newer version (1.2.4).

Same error message.

I thought it might be the Nvidia drivers, but I am using ver 2960, the same as on the other machine.

All other 3d games work great, quake3, quake2, rtcw, etc. Other apps like mplayer that depend on the SDL libs run fine as well.

I'm not sure where to go next. I have talked to the folks at #Twilight and they feel, as I do, that it is not their software. It is not the RPM, becasue it runs fine on another machine with very similar video systems (agp, nvidia, drivers...).

Any ideas peeps?

Thanks!

edit: the only thing that is different between the two computers mentioned above (ie. video) is that my machine having the problem with Twilight is an Intel 81x chipset with an onboard video and an agp slot. I am using the agp slot of course. Could that onboard video be a problem? If so, why do other SDL games and apps run fine?

I don't know why, but that has happened to me with Abuse... It just doesn't work sometimes.

The Twilight RPM works for most everyone else, so I'm not sure what the problem is... Sorry.

i was doin so good, too, i have quake 3 and quake 2 running great.

too bad, cuz i really like quake better than quake2...quake2 was too "cartoony", it didn't have that edge, you know what i mean?

well, these things eventually get resolved, i am a patient man.

ya riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

:lol:

luvin the new board, but i'm pissed that i lost my "status"!