Windows DV software on Linux

Leo

I realise this is probably a silly question so please forgive me I am completely new to Linux (in fact all things operating system oriented).

Is there anyway of running Pinnacle Studio 8 in Linux (mandrake 9.0, mdk 2.4.16-19) I have just installed it on my pc (gateway select 750, 256 RAM, 750 Athlon) dual booting 98SE.

It runs fine in 98SE but I would ideally like to ditch windows completely so could do with either getting Studio 8 to run or finding a suitable replacement for editing DV footage and burning to disk.

Any assistance/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Typically, windows software doesn't run under linux unless you use a special emulator. Even then, it can be a chore to get something going. You can check out wine (do a search in this forum or on google), codeweavers, and a few others.

You can also look for linux software to do digital imaging. There are a lot of places to look in google. Here's a few links

http://www.robfisher.net/video/ (about 6 months old)

www.freshmeat.net

www.sourceforge.net

The last 2 are HUGE general depositories of ongoing projects. Good place to do a search for digital projects.

If you can't find a good substitute or emulate it, then I would just keep your win98 around a bit longer ;)

Thanks, I had a look and there is some interesting stuff there however for the moment I think I will stick with studio 8 as it is a good all in one package. I may well give wine a shot though (once I have got to grips with all this new stuff)

Thanks again for the reply

Leo