Confused and probably Stupid

Hi folks. Like so many people on the forum, I'm struggling with Mandriva 2007 and installing software.

I'm trying to install some software and get the following:

[root@alpha zaptel-1.4.8]# make

grep: /include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory

grep: /include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.8'

gcc -o makefw makefw.c

./makefw tormenta2.rbt tor2fw > tor2fw.h

Loaded 69900 bytes from file

./makefw pciradio.rbt radfw > radfw.h

Loaded 42096 bytes from file

You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.12-12mdksmp kernel installed.

make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.8'

make: *** [all] Error 2

[root@alpha zaptel-1.4.8]#

Before I get flamed, I have done the Google and forum searches and have gone to the EasyURPMI site and followed the instructions. I ran the commands for all the options (main, contrib, plf) but still the same message. Thinking that I might have missed something, I logged in as root and ran the package updater tool and left it running to download 700+ MB worth of stuff.

Another reboot and another attempt at installing the software and the same message occurs.

Obviously, I'm no Linux guru but how can you tell if I have the sources installed?

Thanks for your help.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

There are two different ways of installing software. You are currently trying to install from source, before doing that I would suggest seeing of the program is avilable via URPMI (Mandriva Control Center -> Software -> Install Software) or if you can find an rpm available on the internet. If not, move on to the source route, which requires a whole bunch of extra packages. I would highly suggest reading here, here and possibly this wiki entry. Let us know if you have any questions.

(p.s. - you're not stupid. you're asking the exact same questions I did the first time I tried to compile from source, and I don't think I'm stupid ;) )

Edited by tyme

Tyme,

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at the links can confirm all the 'other' dependencies have been satisfied. The ./configure came back with

configure: *** Zaptel build successfully configured ***

I went through the exercise of finding and updating everything it asked for during the initial failures I encountered. I did the same exercise during the 'make menuselect' phase.

It's now just this issue of sources (I'm assuming Mandriva sources) but I don't know what these 'sources' are. Further Internet reading suggests that something should be in here that I'm missing (I think) but I don't know what.

[root@alpha zaptel-1.4.8]# ls /lib/modules

2.6.12-12mdksmp/

[root@alpha zaptel-1.4.8]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdksmp/

kernel/ modules.dep modules.inputmap modules.seriomap

modules.alias modules.description modules.isapnpmap modules.symbols

modules.ccwmap modules.ieee1394map modules.pcimap modules.usbmap

[root@alpha zaptel-1.4.8]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdksmp/kernel/

3rdparty/ arch/ crypto/ drivers/ fs/ lib/ net/ sound/

[root@alpha zaptel-1.4.8]#

You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.12-12mdksmp kernel installed.
It's looking for the kernel sources, which it needs to link to to do the compilation.

Try this:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

to see which packages you have installed. If you haven't got anything which looks like a sources package then you can get it via urpmi.

I believe you need to install the package:

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk

search for kernel-source in rpmdrake (software installer) should result in a list, with this being one of the options. you need to choose the one that matches your kernel as far as version numbers - I'm not 100% sure that what I listed is the right version for your kernel.

Edited by tyme

I think also kernel-version-devel will work as well to install. Version being, of course, the version of the kernel you have currently installed.

Also, you might want to urpmi libqt3-devel or install libqt3-devel from the install and remove software tool. That will get you what you need to compile a lot of common programs.

Apologies in advance for the following off-topic remarks, can't help it:

If you have the smp kernel installed, that means you need the kernel's special source.

If your compiler can't find it, it could be that it's the kernel's secret special source...

I wonder if KFC sponsor any of the linux developers? :D

</offtopic>

Is Zapata telephony what you are trying to compile? Because if it is then you can find it in the contrib repo.

The OP claims he's using Mandriva 2007, but his kernel is 2.6.12.xx, which would mean it's Mandriva 2006. There's no dkms-zaptel for that release.