No Make in Mandriva One?

Hi,

I want to use a software that need to be installed by the old "make", "make install" method. However, when I type the command make (Mandriva One 2008), I get the following error message:

bash: make: command not found

No "make" in Mandriva ??? What's the problem ? Any idea ?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

development packages are not installed by default. setup your urpmi sources (see Easy-Urpmi link in the top-right section of this page) and install the gcc package and and its friends. if make is not one the dependencies (which i doubt) then you can install that one too. the urpmf utility should enable you to figure out which package contains make, or you can head down to rpm.pbone.net to do a quick search.

[edit] or slap in your installation cds. its also there. the urpmi route will just make sure you have the latest versions available.

ciao!

Edited by ramfree17

Also, might be worthwhile checking to see if the package you are trying to compile is already available in the Mandriva repo's. It will save you compiling it and having a lot of hassle.

I usually just install the make rpm and something like libqt-devel or it might be libqt3-devel. That seems to pull all the required dependencies. The libqt-devel rpm allows for compiling programs that use QT and also for the graphic menu for configuring a kernel compilation.

Also, might be worthwhile checking to see if the package you are trying to compile is already available in the Mandriva repo's. It will save you compiling it and having a lot of hassle.

youre no fun! :P

kidding aside, that might not be an option since the original post said the software needs to be installed via the make;make install route. checkinstall would be a great tool to integrate this with the system package management.

ciao!

Thanks guys!

Installing the gcc and make packages (make isn't included in the gcc package) solved the problem.

Yes, I know. But it's a small "homemade" utility and no package is available. Only the "make" "make install" procedure is available for sake of being compatible with all decent linux systems. I suppose the guy just don't want to bother creating packages for I don't know how many different software installer when it works just well with "make"...

But it's a small "homemade" utility and no package is available. Only the "make" "make install" procedure is available for sake of being compatible with all decent linux systems. I suppose the guy just don't want to bother creating packages for I don't know how many different software installer when it works just well with "make"...

that is where checkinstall comes in handy. it will replace the "make install" step with "checkinstall" (or something like that, it has been ages since i used it) and it will create a deb, rpm or slack tgz for you. if you need to remove that package then you can use your system packaging system and you will no longer need to hunt for the source directory where you installed it.

and you can keep the resulting rpm somewhere if the development in that project is not too frequent.

ciao!