SCO: the story continues

Michel

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't follow this long thread too, but let me post this, at least, 'alaming' article from www.forbes.com :

Full article here: What SCO Wants, SCO Gets

Just a couple of quotes from the article:

They should wake up [the GNU/Linux community]. SCO may not be very good at making a profit by selling software. (Last year the company lost $24.9 million on sales of $64.2 million.) But it is very good at getting what it wants from other companies. And it has a tight circle of friends.

These guys in Utah are no dummies. The crunchies in the Linux community should be paying more attention.

When one reads that article might think that after all SCO could be not a desperate enterprise (that one we thought it was,) but a well directed one that it is following a long and well thought plan :shock:

That scares

... of course, my apologies if this stuff has already been posted ;)

Again this is just another article of speculation, nobody presents any valid credible evidence until this is brought to court. The Fortune guys may appraise some greedy people as smart businessmen, but ignores the long term consequences of free/open source software's benefit to the IT industry and the ability to improve robustness of IT infrastructure in general. Remember, SCO's Vice president in engineering did jump ship by selling all of his stocks (including exercising options), so how confident the folks inside SCO about its case against IBM? Still hard to say; and is IBM a fool given its one of the greatest patent profolio holder among all business in the world?

What SCO gets to people's nerve is its loud and clear(ly FUD) PR machine, the more IBM cannot bear its PR coup, the more likely IBM will buy it to shut SCO's mouth, this is a low but possibly workable strategy. But I will not call it smart, because after all, it contradicts the morale of competition by merit - but by clever rip off and bite of others.

here's an interesting story from 3 years ago:

http://features.linuxtoday.com/infrastruct...2000022200405NW

oh yeah, and an extremely interesting prediction made in the comments section of that article, back when it was originally posted:

http://features.linuxtoday.com/news_story....-004-05-NW-0003

I'm sure this was already considered, but Caldera/SCO did offer the code for old Unix versions under a BSD license. The license specifically excludes System V, but if there is similar code in the earlier versions it might be helpful.

The license/letter is in PDF format at:

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Caldera-license.pdf

Information was found at:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/PUPS/

Guest BooYah
I don't follow this long thread too, but let me post this, at least, 'alaming' article from www.forbes.com :

Full article here: What SCO Wants, SCO Gets

[Yoda_voice]Always mindful of the source you must be, young aru.[/Yoda_voice] Forbes is right-wing and all for corporate control of the economy/society/world.

I went looking for the SCO article but got sidetracked into this rather ignorant piece: Why you wont be getting a Linux PC

On a slightly more humorous note:

"...When Caldera discovered that its OpenServer line outsold its Linux line 3-2 (no, that's not a ratio, those are actual sales figures), they changed their name back to SCO.

This brings us to the current situation. After the company's unsuccessful "We're a player, dammit!" campaign caused 10% of their customer base to flee, SCO decided to resort to that time-honored American business tradition, litigation. After all, they had already taken on Microsoft, so they figured they could take on IBM. They sent IBM a letter oozing with legalese that said, "All your AIX are belong to us." After IBM blatantly ignored them, they've decided to take on the entity that actually cost them all of their lost revenue: the customers who failed to buy or even notice SCO/Caldera products, but instead bought a competing Linux product. ..."

Full article at: SCO Sues To Become Relevant

That article about 'Why you wont be getting a Linux PC' was great.

It didn't really say anything damaging. I mean, really, has anyone seen those $200.00 Lindows machines? They are terrible!!! If they are the computer that's supposed to get people to switch to Linux, then Linux is doomed.

But the gist of the article is right on. I used to do tech support for friends and family. I stopped. Most people are not technical. Most of them are hopeless. Linux is not an option for them.

My friend is a carpenter. He has two 12 year old twin daughters. The whole family uses the one computer. It has 4 versions of AOL on it, Kazaa has completely infested his computer with viruses. He gets disk errors when he boots it up. There's about 10 splash screens at startup for crap that he doesn't even recognize. Not to mention the crap his daughters have downloaded onto it. In fact, the reason I was asked to look at it was because AIM wasn't working and the girls like to chat on line. It's a mess.

Unfortunately, he seems to be more the normal type of user. I call them the "Should I click it?" crowd. They just keep asking, "Should I click it?", and then they click it, and hope that it works, but it doesn't, and they call me. The writer of that article was part of this crowd, no doubt.

You think anyone can expect them to go to a command line, type dmesg and troubleshoot a USB problem? Or install the lastest mplayer tarball? Give me a break.

And good. I don't want them using Linux, and then having it turn into an OS for the lowest common denominator. Linux for the common man does have a way to go. But I expect it will mature. OS X (Which I'm using as I write this article) has come a long way to getting there in a short amount of time. And as good as OS X looks, as far as candy coated desktop environments go, I like KDE on Linux better.

I suspect the woman who wrote that article thinks she's pretty neat, and that she's got her finger on the pulse of the Windows/Linux competition. Again, that's good. I am truly frightened of what someone like that could do to a linux box, given what I've seen someone like that do to a windows box. I wouldn't want to do her tech support.

Slow down!! If you want exclusivity for linux, then you like the sco-micodribble-charge if I think about it crowd!

Windows 3.1 and 3.11 were sytems that ran well if you knew the tweaks. The average user could institute them in the autoexec.bat and the config.sys files. That was too simple and too easy, so microbabbles tried to change it into obscurity with 95. If linux remains with the IMAGE of too technical, it is doomed. All os's are technical. It is this image that is the problem. Linux must be for everyone (have the image) if it will win over the thoughts of sco and micorbrains.

The lady is sadly writing about image, and not reality.

Guest BooYah
But the gist of the article is right on. I used to do tech support for friends and family. I stopped. Most people are not technical. Most of them are hopeless. Linux is not an option for them.

This snobbish attitude that Linux is only for elite hackers has got to go. The article is ignorantly incomplete, plain and simple.

You think anyone can expect them to go to a command line, type dmesg and troubleshoot a USB problem? Or install the lastest mplayer tarball? Give me a break.

Trouble shooting and installing software makes someone a linux guru? Just because Joe Smith can change his oil or flat tire, does that make him a mechanic?

i'd have to agree with BooYah, Linux can be for anyone....

besides, aren't we here to help people? not to tell them "go back to windows"?

...............................that's why i come to this board, anyways....

I am not a snobbish Linux elitist.

On the contrary. I am on this site, and others, ALL THE TIME looking for answers to problems I am having. It would be safe to say that I know next to nothing.

But by taking the position that I think I'm an l33t h4x0r you miss the point of what I'm saying.

I have tried to get friends to move to Linux. I've told them I'd help them with the installation, and help them get up and running. But they look at what I have and say things like 'man... thats hardcore!.' They're looking at KDE!!! What's hardcore about that?!

I remember trying to convert my brother, and showed him the most basic command line stuff. I think I did an 'ls -lsa' and his comment was something like 'Whoa, I'm not trying to program the matrix!'

To the guy that called me an elitist snob, -------(edited by Ixthusdan). Anyone who knows me knows I'm the furthest thing from it. If anything, I'm a Linux evangalist. But my efforts are usually met with blank stares.

(edited by Ixthusdan)Linux isn't ready for people like my friend, or my brother. I can say this because I've already tried to convert them! Not exactly elitist behavior.

i've converted many people who weren't computer-literate.

it's a matter of knowing what they know, and what they want to do, and showing them the simplist way to do it. at first, everyone thinks linux is some unkown scary thing they shouldn't touch.

patience is a virtue. eventually, they'll pick it up. you just have to know how to show them. atleast, that's my experience.

on any hand, this:

edited by Ixthusdn
was completely unneccesary. i hope you have better ways of expressing your anger/disgust/whatever it was you were trying to get across. besides, i believe he was pointing out the attitude, not calling you anything.

addition: ANYWAYS...this thread is supposed to be about SCO, so, let's get back to that....

slashdot has an interesting story regarding a protest that occured at SCO's offices, along with the fact that apparently SCO employees came out with signs saying various things against Linux and it's users.

wouldn't this be considered slander?

Slashdot post: http://slashdot.org/articles/03/06/22/2028...tid=106&tid=185

stuff over at PLUG's homepage: http://mirror.lug-nut.com/

press coverage: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,5100...0034420,00.html?

http://www.harktheherald.com/article.php?s...=thread&order=0

oh, and the signs apparently made by SCO employees: http://www.kuwan.net/scoAntiProtest/index.html

Guest BooYah
Get your head out of the sand. Linux isn't ready for people like my friend, or my brother. I can say this because I've already tried to convert them! Not exactly elitist behavior.
The key words here are convert and elitist

edited by Ixthusdan.

and with such a fine example of patience and understanding, I'm sure you make a great teacher. I said the attitude has got to go, not you. Likewise with this **** fixation. That stuff will make your palms hairy.

Edited by Ixthusdan