Installing problems...

Guest Pjoter

Guest Pjoter

I downloaded 3 CDs in .iso format and installed LM 9.1 from hard drive (using boot-disc). There were some problems during instalation - setup haven't found a lot of RPMs... I wanted to install the rest of them later, when I will be logged into a system. The RMPs, which are left, are on the 2nd and 3rd CD. Can I install them now? I don't want to install each one alone, because there's lots of them. It also alert some errors while installing only one RPM(lost of libs). What can I do now? I installed EzISO to mount .iso files as a CD, but it dosen't help!...

Please help me... I'm slowly getting angry... :x

Pjoter...

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Break on through

to the otherside...

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Welcome! :)

Did you check the md5sum of the .iso's b4 install? They should be available at the mirror you downloaded from. Bad md5sum's can be a reason for install errors concerning rpm's, but it's also a bug of some sort because it may happen on one install and not another. So, if the md5sum is ok, you might just want to try to install again.

Have you booted and logged in yet?

Did you install with the 2 and 3rd cd? If so, to install more rpms, you need to open the Mandrake Control Center and go to >System Package Mgr (or something like that) to install more pkgs or to remove pkgs.

Guest Pjoter

Hello again!...

I'a a newbie, so I don't know how to check the MD5SUM... Could you tell me how to do it?..

The next question is that I think the installation haven't gone with 2nd and 3rd CD. And that's why the packages haven't been installed...

I tried to install it with Install Software, but it dosen't show ANY package - there's blank sheet... :(

Thanks for helping me... :)

Since you can get into Mandrake the esiest way to check the md5sum is to open a terminal (konsole, xterm, rxvt) and change to the directory the iso's are in and run the command, md5sum. Hopefully they're on a partition that mandrake has made available in the /mnt directory. First find out where they are and change the path.

If the iso's are in /mnt/win_c/downlaod, in a terminal su to root

su <hit Enter>

enter_root_password <hit Enter>

cd /mnt/win_c/download <hit Enter>

md5sum ML-9.1-bla-bla.iso <hit Enter>

compare the output to the md5sum's on the mirror you downloaded from and make sure they match EXACTLY.

Guest Pjoter

"Huston!... We gotta problem!... "

The MD5SUM is correct... I've just checked it [myself... :) I learn fast... :D] Well... So, can there be any other reason?... Or will I have to reinstall? I wish I wouldn't need to do it...

Guest anon

Insert CD1, open a terminal or console, type su (press enter)

then your root password. (press enter.)

Then type urpmi.update -a (press enter) (notice the "dot" between urpmi and update)

If that works OK then go to software manager, sources, and add the extra CDs.

Yes. Well my only point about a reinstall is that if it were me, and depending on which or how many libs were the prob at install.....I'd just redo it because after all, it's a new install so you're not loosing anything ( in fact I did install a second time for 9.0 because of rpm failure). But you can add/update the cd's as anon mentioned....hopefully!

Guest Pjoter

The system wrote, that there were no list files in

[*]/var/lib/urpmi/list.Installation CD 1 (x86) (disk1)

[*]/var/lib/urpmi/list.Installation CD 2 (x86) (disk2)

[*]/var/lib/urpmi/list.International CD (x86) (disk3)

The problem is that I have only .iso images and I can't burn it, because my CDRecorder is broken...

Some suggestions?... please... :?

Let's make sure we understand eachother. Unless I'm totally off base, Pjoter is trying to say he downloaded the isos to his hard drive and is installing directly off the isos on his hard drive. That's why he's not picking up any rpms from disks 2 or 3. I know there is a FAQ on exactly how to do this. Ah yes, here it is and it's a long one. Check out this link:

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?p=11409

Guest anon
can urpmi read iso's?.....won't he have to use an app to convert the data from the .iso img to the hd or another cdrom or something?

No, it can't read ISOs. Sorry, wasn't concentrating :oops:

Guest Pjoter

Ok! So I'll make reinstalation... Now, I think I understood the FAQ, but... Correct me if I'm wrong. I make FAT32 partition, then I put my cd1.iso there and from /RMPS other isos i make One Great RPMS folder on the 1st CD... yep?

Anyway, Thank you very much for your help and time wasted on such an ignorant as I am... :wink:

CU...