Empty Konqueror Window on Fat Drive

Gowator

I've got an experimental 9.1 up.

The USB2 support used to work in 9.0 but its misconfigured so Im going to have to do it manually. Easiest way is just get the autodetected settings from 9.0 on the other disk. (By misconfigured it just hangs DISKDRAKE or Mandrake control centre wehn booting.

But intriguing: I mounted by USB archos multimedia and firstly I got a hang...using the new automount on desktop.

OK back to console and mount it.

Then back to konqueror and look at it. Its empty.

Ooops, its a Fat16 FS so i thought problem with the module.

Back to console.

Nope I can cd into it ls and copy files but Konqueror is STILL blank. Refresh. up and down, everything Ican think of and still blank.....

Suggestions .....

FWIW, I (and many others, so it seems) have problems in my WIN partitions using Konqi as well. I think its well known. I can CL to and from all the partitions, copy, move, delete, etc, but Konq does hang.

There was a support ticket about this, but the FSTAB fixes in the ticket that worked were already implemented in my FSTAB file. I'm going to make a new ticket and see what comes of it.

R

I used a mount /dev/sda /mnt/removeable -o user, rw

The mount from the desktop (automatically generated with the hotplug) is completely weird.

Another problem is its working on USB 1.1 only, even though I had 2.0 working in the old 9.0.

The problem is its all a bit fiddly inside the shuttle, I have to take out the TV card and the Matrox to switch drives over. I put Mdk 9.1 completely clean onto a different drive!

The Cd's are so shot at that I think Ill have to download them andcreate my own, dissapointing since I bought the boxset of expert ;-)

Its a shame but Im finally going to have to bite the bullet and get a phone line. France telecom refuse to tell me if I can get broadband without first getting a line. I think its 90% certain but I have to PAY a years rental first!!!! I'm going to post this onto a seperate board but if anyone knows .... let me know!

You must be executing the above command as root which I beleive is why your not seeing it in konqueror as an ordinary user. You can test the theory by mounting with the above command and seeing if you can read the files on the device using konqueror in superuser mode. For convenience konqueror can be launched as root in Start>Applications>File tools>File Manager-Super User Mode.

It might also be that hotplug is somehow interfering. To stop hotplug from loading when you plug in the archos you can create an entry in /etc/fstab for it. Assuming the device file for it is /dev/sda, the file system is FAT 16 and the mount point is /mnt/removable, edit fstab to include the following line:

/dev/sda /mnt/removable msdos user,noauto,umask=0 0 0

Save the changes, reboot for the new fstab to take effect. "User" will allow ordinary users to mount the archos, "noauto" insures that linux does not try to mount the device at boot and hotplug does not run for the archos, and "umask=0 0 0" should give ordinary users read /write permissions on the archos.

After rebooting, try mounting as an ordinary user with:

$ mount /mnt/removable

If it mounts without error messages, see if you can see files in Konqueror. If all is well, you can make a convenient mounting icon on your desktop by right clicking on the desktop and going to Creat New>Hard disk. In the popup wndow, tick the "Device" tab and click on the arrow to the right of the "Device" field. You should see a drop down menu with all your fstab devices listed. Scroll down to /dev/sda and select it. Go back to the first tab "General" and put Archos or whatever name you want in the available field, tick OK and the icon will appear on your desktop. If all goes well, after plugging in your archos, click on the mounting icon and the device will be automatically mounted and konqueror will open displaying the contents of your archos drive. To unmount the device, close konqueror, right click on the icon and select the unmount option. Be sure to unmount before removing the device.

Try the above and see if it works. The lack of USB 2.0 is probably due to the module for it not being loaded. I don't have any USB 2.0 dvices so I can't tell you which module is necessary for USB 2 off the top of my head. You can check the loaded modules by running:

# lsmod

Post back with the output of lsmod here or you may want to start a new thread in Hardware where somebody might have more experience with getting USB 2.0 to work in linux.

i actually tried just running konqueror as root by just starting it from a root console (after Xhost etc.)

I got the same problem.

I took out the Mdk 9.1 disk last night and stuck the Mdk 9.0 in instead.

The box in question becuase its a shuttle. Looks cool.

Ive given up on Mkd9.1 until I can get the patches which means sorting aout a phone .. dah dah dah. The box's purpose in life is a MM centre providing my TV, MP3 and DVD pleasure so I'll just leave it as 9.0 until ...?

(The USB2.0 seems to be a hw problem, a conflict with the NIC. I remember when it was working in 9.0 I had intermittent problems with the NIC! I need to rtfm on the Mobo I think. )

The module is being loaded but its the only USB2.0 device I have so its hard to tell if its the archos or the module ....

Thx again...