suspend to disk only works once...?!

aRTee

As the title says, I managed to get suspend to disk working on my (older) desktop. BUT it only works once...

I had to modify the file /etc/suspend.conf, turn off lircd and lircmd, and make sure the system uses nvidia_agp instead of the via type, otherwise no problem, a successful suspend and wakeup looks like this:

Mar  1 23:54:33 zurich kernel: swsusp: Marking nosave pages: 000000000009f000 - 0000000
Mar  1 23:54:33 zurich kernel: swsusp: Basic memory bitmaps created
Mar  1 23:55:45 zurich kernel: Stopping tasks ... done.
Mar  1 23:55:45 zurich kernel: bootsplash: status on console 0 changed to on
Mar  1 23:55:45 zurich kernel: Shrinking memory... done (12563 pages freed)
Mar  1 23:55:45 zurich kernel: Freed 50252 kbytes in 0.21 seconds (239.29 MB/s)
Mar  1 23:55:45 zurich kernel: Suspending console(s)

Whereas if I tell the system to suspend again, it does this:

Mar  2 00:06:55 zurich kernel: swsusp: Marking nosave pages: 000000000009f000 - 0000000000100000
Mar  2 00:06:55 zurich kernel: swsusp: Basic memory bitmaps created
Mar  2 13:23:19 zurich syslogd 1.4.2: restart.

Naturally, that last line is the first thing after rebooting.

Any idea where I can check what's wrong in my setup?

Obviously, the problem is with something inside Linux, the BIOS etc should be fine, or the first successful suspend wouldn't have worked...

I am no expert in those things, but let me try... Did you try restarting acpi before doing the second suspend? Also, though you are certain that the BIOS is Ok, it may be a good idea to update it. Since your desktop is an older model, the BIOS may not be 100% ACPI compliant, this might cause a problem when acpid reloads.

Edited by coverup

I just tried restarting acpid, didn't help...

My motherboard has been using the latest bios that became available some years ago, ASUS stopped making new ones.

But since I can suspend and resume successfully once, I think that that should be ok.

You did give me another idea / place to start on debugging this: turning off as much as possible, then seeing if it works.

But: I'm using kpowersave - suspend to disk and I have no idea (yet) how to do the same on the commandline - I just tried

echo "disk" > /sys/power/state

but that didn't work, so the command that kpowersave uses is something else I guess...