Suggestions for Linux Friendly Wifi card

Yankee

Yankee,

The Tigerdirect link that you give won't connect, so I can't say anything about the card there. If you are looking for a PCMCIA card for a laptop, I can recommend the Orinoco Gold card (by Prism?). It has an Atheros chipset that has never given me problems connecting. I just make sure to have madwifi installed. I've used it in several different distros, Mandriva, Ubuntu. Suse, and it has always worked. From reading the forum, is seems that Atheros cards seem to work well generally.

Sorry I didn't put that in there...It is for a desktop and I've had good luck with Dlink in the past.

They're sold out...

It was a D-Link DWL-G510 PCI Wireless Adapter for $19.95

Any good card will do but what card or chipset should I look for?

Hello:

I have been using a Netgear WG511T pcmcia card for my laptop, the Netgear desktop card (can't remember the number, but it is for 108mbps and a Netgear WGT624 wireless router for both wired and wireless systems at my house.

I picked the WG511T because it has been favorably rated on most all forums as far as wireless laptop cards. Mandriva is the only distro I have tried that will find it and configure without hassle.

Just a side note, unless you want the neighbors hitting your router, select to not broadcast ESSID in router setup.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Randy3011

• 4 weeks later...

I have the popular Orinoco Gold card, also known as Lucent/Agere or WaveLAN/IEEE. I can't seems to make it do WPA in Linux, although WPA in Windows is working. When I am in Mandriva Linux Control Center setting up the WiFi network interface, I select "WPA Pre-Shared Key" and settings seem to be accepted but later I go back and it's changed itself to "Open WEP".

I really need to have WPA or WPA2 in Linux as that's what I run 99% of the time. Do I need to buy a new WiFi card? If so, I need one with an external antenna port like my Orinoco Gold card has. Below are some details I got with lshw.

description: WaveLAN/IEEE

product: Version 01.01

vendor: Lucent Technologies

physical id: 0

slot: Socket 0

resources: irq:3

configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15 firmware=Lucent/Agere 8.72 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b

I assume you mean use the "Mandriva Linux Control Center" and go to "Network and Internet", "Network Center", then select my WiFi connection which is eth1 and hit the Configure button. So I tried that and still no luck. By the way, in addition to eth0 (the wired connection) I have eth1 which is "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Version 1.01", and eth1:9 also shown in "Network Center".

Can I look somewhere on the disk for the underlying configuration file, just to see what got written in there?

This Orinoco WiFi card is being very Linux-unfriendly. I rebooted and now I get some wierd IP address: 127.255.255.255

3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

link/ether 00:02:2d:75:78:ce brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 127.255.255.255/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host eth1:9

inet6 fe80::202:2dff:fe75:78ce/64 scope link

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Rather than spend hours trying to make it work, anyone know of a make/model WiFi card that just works and also has port for external antenna?